Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express CC

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I have read, they target people in areas in which the economy and the housing market has taken the biggest hit. They build a risk profile based off that, and among other things in your credit profile to see how likely you or someone in your area might not be able to pay down the road.

Your right it is bogus to treat people so generally based off geographical location alone.

Really? The insurance industry has done it for years.
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont understand about this AMEX thing. I read recently at MSN website studies conducted by JD Powers Associated that they rated AMEX is the Number 1 in customer satisfaction and customers are happy with AMEX.

At this website myfico.com, I read nothing good about AMEX but complaints and more of bad stuff about AMEX than anything else.

I recently got the Blue Sky card since Dec 2008 and after reading all these AMEX blog, i'm very nervous and scare of AMEX. Geezus, I just dont know what to do or what to say more..

To prove my point here's the credit card rating from JD Associates :

http://www.jdpower.com/finance/ratings/credit-card-ratings

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 06-11-2009 01:18 PM
Message 12 of 29
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont understand about this AMEX thing. I read recently at MSN website studies conducted by JD Powers Associated that they rated AMEX is the Number 1 in customer satisfaction and customers are happy with AMEX.

At this website myfico.com, I read nothing good about AMEX but complaints and more of bad stuff about AMEX than anything else.

I recently got the Blue Sky card since Dec 2008 and after reading all these AMEX blog, i'm very nervous and scare of AMEX. Geezus, I just dont know what to do or what to say more..

To prove my point here's the credit card rating from JD Associates :

http://www.jdpower.com/finance/ratings/credit-card-ratings

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 06-11-2009 01:18 PM

CreditCard101, yes you are right, they have superior customer service. Whether its concierge, charge disputes, purchase protection, etc.. they are superior.

However, what JD Associates do not know is their egregious proprietary risk management system which AMEX reps have no control except for their chairman.

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chopbrocoli:

JD Associate should re-do the study services satisfaction. Because I've been hearing horrible stories from AMEX on this forums and making me extremely nervous..Especially account closed unexpectedly..

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 06-11-2009 01:56 PM
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chopbrocoli:

JD Associate should re-do the study services satisfaction. Because I've been hearing horrible stories from AMEX on this forums and making me extremely nervous..Especially account closed unexpectedly..

Frankly, I would not get to concerned about some of the things you read on here. Bear in mind, you are only getting HALF THE STORY and frankly,, it is always a biased half.

I have not had a problem with any of my credit cards and frankly, they have been offering more and more, which I have no need for.

Like all things in life, there will be two sides to the story.

You will find that your experiences will probably be different then other peoples.

Message 15 of 29
Takunda1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chopbrocoli:

Frankly, I would not get to concerned about some of the things you read on here. Bear in mind, you are only getting HALF THE STORY and frankly,, it is always a biased half.

I have not had a problem with any of my credit cards and frankly, they have been offering more and more, which I have no need for.

Like all things in life, there will be two sides to the story.

You will find that your experiences will probably be different then other peoples.

AGREED 100%.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Despite what I've read here and heard from friends and close family members about CLD, closed accounts ect. I felt the same way until a few days ago.

I gave you pretty much the whole story sirs, I'll give you a few more details in this post. I do not understand why you would kill her CC now, when the collection has been on there since last year, then give me a line of Bull S about our payments are low relative to balances.

I've made large payments relative to my balances, I've already paid down $15,000 in CC debt this year alone out of a total that was $19,000 and the last $4,000 we owe will be gone easily in 12 months probably more like 6. Those are small payments though. Her utilization is too high on her CCs?

Less than 15% CC util. is high.

Paying off all your credit card debt in as little as 8 months to a years time are to small of payments relative to balances? Several of those payments we sent in paid the cards in full inlcuding the Amex card.

What kind of risk model are they running?

As I think about it... I really shouldn't be upset I suppose, in the end we don't need the credit line, and in terms of customer service our credit union has really blown the doors off any other lender we've worked with inlcuding a major bank my wife worked for... 

-JJ 

Message Edited by Jayjinx on 06-12-2009 09:26 AM
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

who can say with amex? they seem to have lost sanity. I've friends that tried for a card I have (hilton surpass) both denied over low scores. yet the've scores in the 740s. amex told one that anything under 750 is low now!
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can chime in as a happy AMEX customer - as a recent immigrant to the US, they were happy to take my UK credit history with them, and give me a Blue card (I was told to pick one - as I was approved for all) purely based on that - no credit pulls or submissions and a $10k limit.

So far, I've found their customer service to be really useful too.

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express just cancelled my Costco TrueEarnings card, as well.  The credit limit was $5000. I had always paid the balance in full on this card, but I have some pretty huge outstanding balances with other issuers (at 0% for arbitrage purposes), so I wasn't really surprised by the adverse action from AMEX.

What concerns me, though, is the cancellation letter that they sent me.  It includes the following statement:

"Our cancellation of your account(s) under these circumstances may result in negative reporting of this account to the consumer reporting agencies."

Does anyone know what they mean by "negative reporting of this account"?  Did they use a poor choice of wording here, or are they going to report this account as if it were in default or something? I understand that having your credit limit lowered or accounts cancelled can lower your credit score. Is this what they mean when they refer to "negative reporting of this account" or is it something more severe than that?

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.