Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express CLI question

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: American Express CLI question

So, what happens with me if I have a 12.5k limit?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 11 of 29
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

So, what happens with me if I have a 12.5k limit?

Then you can be our next test case!  Ask for a 3x CLI (or anything over two) and see if they give it to you without requesting tax information.

Message 12 of 29
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

do not try lol..a fr is not worth it..i started out at 15k and im just gonna request 20k..you dont need much more than that and a fr just aint worth the hastle

Message 13 of 29
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

do not try lol..a fr is not worth it..i started out at 15k and im just gonna request 20k..you dont need much more than that and a fr just aint worth the hastle

These are not the dreaded FRs!   I just had to submit the IRS form.  Your account is not frozen, they just say that if they do not hear from you within 30 days, they will assume you no longer need the CLI.   So really very different.

If of course your tax return transcript would show something very different from what you originally told Amex, that's a different story.

Message 14 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@lionsfan20 wrote:

These are not the dreaded FRs!   I just had to submit the IRS form.  Your account is not frozen, they just say that if they do not hear from you within 30 days, they will assume you no longer need the CLI.   So really very different.

If of course your tax return transcript would show something very different from what you originally told Amex, that's a different story.

I just don't know how much clearer it can be that AMEX says to ask for up to $25k or 3x current cl and asking for $20k because you are at $15k and don't actually need it and you think they won't FR you if you don't ask you are wrong... Amex FR is pretty random if you ask me and you are only getting in your own way for Amex to do what Amex does which is approve or counter your 3x request or up to $25k.

I don't think I have ever seen a credit card company that gives you so much information on policies of SP only once you have the account and how often and for how much you can ask for in a CLI yet Amex still dominates the boards of how it works!  

Message 15 of 29
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

ok so i finally had the courage to do it and got a 7-10 day message..does that mean declined

Message 16 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

ok so i finally had the courage to do it and got a 7-10 day message..does that mean declined

Yes.  mark it in calendar and try again in 6 months.

Sorry!

Message 17 of 29
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

and this is why you dont listen to idiot bystanders..especially kids with 10000 posts who have no life

Message 18 of 29
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

and this is why you dont listen to idiot bystanders..especially kids with 10000 posts who have no life

What did you ask for, $20K?  And what was the wording of the message?  I think mine said about needing more information, but not sure.

Message 19 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

UMMM, I can only assume since I'm just over 10,000 posts you are making this statement about me?  I don't know what getting declined for a CLI has to do with me as an idiot, kid, or 10k posts... I am no kid either... as much as I might want to be a little younger, I am not even close.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.