Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Cancelled My Account?

tag
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

American Express Cancelled My Account?

I have had my American Express Green Card and I have used it a few times so far to put gas and dinner and today I went to go put gas and I was declined then I go online and look and it says "Your account has been cancelled." I called to see what the problem was and they said my score  dropped and my util was to high so they closed my account.

Has this happened to anyone?

Is there anyway I can persuade them to open it back up?

Thanks

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
dansparis

Re: American Express Cancelled My Account?

Hopefully some other more experienced members will chime in but I do see how this could happen. Was this your first Amex card? When I got my first Amex card, I noticed that Amex monitored my credit report like a hawk, I suppose to assess my spending patterns and risk rate. I got about 2 soft pulls from them every month for about the first 6 months. I never really understood why people said to baby an Amex card during the early couple months but I guess this is why, never really thought they'd actually cancel an account. Hopefully there's room for reconsideration, best of luck!

Message 2 of 50
android01
Valued Contributor

Bummer.  Where was your score, and how far did it drop?  How high is your utilization?  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 3 of 50
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You could always recon.  Especially if you have a good reason.  For example, if you have low limit cards, so a high utilization doesn't actually mean  you were carrying a lot of debt.  Without a little more info, not sure how to advise you.  The good part is that it sounds like it was closed in good standing.  If you correct whatever the problem was, even if they won't reopen this card, if you reapply, it will be backdated.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@timmis1127 wrote:

I have had my American Express Green Card and I have used it a few times so far to put gas and dinner and today I went to go put gas and I was declined then I go online and look and it says "Your account has been cancelled." I called to see what the problem was and they said my score  dropped and my util was to high so they closed my account.

Has this happened to anyone?

Is there anyway I can persuade them to open it back up?

Thanks

How long have you had the amex account and how has your credit changed since opening the account?

Message 5 of 50
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Wow! What a shocker! I'm so sorry to hear that.

IMO, it wouldn't hurt to call a backdoor number listed on the forum. Maybe you could explain why your util went up on your other card(s), offer to PIF your Amex bal, and they'd re-open it for you.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 50
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

Oddly this happened to my father as well some medical collection showed up on his C/R and amex nix'ed his account

Perhaps its a new review process they started?

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 7 of 50
sandsanta
Contributor

I think there's more background information needed.  How many points did your score drop?  Did you have any missed payments with Amex?  What is your debt/available credit?  Did some collections just show up?

Message 8 of 50
drkaje
Senior Contributor

This isn't surprising at all. Especially if OP was a relatively new cardholder with a marginal credit score.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 50
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

Which back door number do I call?
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.