Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Card

tag
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express Card

Hmmm, that is strange.  Asked them what is the difference between APO and FPO (Navy/Marine Corp address) delivery?  My card was overnight to the FPO Address on OCT26, and should be here today.  If all else fail, have them mail the card to your dad address and have your dad mail it to you.  Did they approved you go for the Green Card?  Wow, that's cool.  I am going to apply for the True Earning Costco card when I go on R/R next month, and then Gold in 6 months.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 61 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO, AmEx is the best CCC out there, customer service is the absolute best, the perks are great, they are very generous with CLI's, they backdate, should I continue?

Mustang don't mean to hijack this thread but did you request a CLI with Discover yet?

Sorry CS800, I have not read this thread in some time, but to answer your question, I just hit the 6 month mark with Discover this month and I clicked the luv button in my online account and requested XX amount and it came back with "We will need to pull a FULL report to consider your request" or something along those lines.

At this point I am not willing to take a hard for a CLI, so I will either wait a few more months and see what happens, or I'll just request a CLI on my AmEx BCP in 15 days (the 61 day mark) 5K now, I'll just ask for an additional 5K bringing it to 10K, if that happens and Discover will not follow suit (and I don't mean getting an 8K CLI from Discover but rather I mean, some sort of substantial CLI) I will possibily close the card, I really am not very happy with the 2K CL they gave me with a 791 EQ FICO at the time I apped, also on my reports at the time of app were, 1% util, one CC reporting a 125 bal, 6 yrs AAoA's, 28 years of credit history, 3 or 4 inq's within the last year (25 in the last two, but IIRC 21 of them were on two seperate days early 2009/2010 for "Rate Shopping" for my car loans, which FICO only scores them as two inqs).  But discover did not see it that way, I believe my CL was so low because of the inq's, which should not have been factored into their decision beacuse all but three of those inq's were for my car loans and were past the year mark.

I Love Discovers CS, they are awesome, but I'm not a fan at all of taking a hard for a CLI, that's just my personal opinion.

Message 62 of 67
score_building
Senior Contributor

I had a 2k starting CL with Discover over an approx 2 yr period. tried to get a CLI but they wouldn't w/o an HP.  Finally gave in and allowed HP. am now almost at almost 7k after few HP increases, still my lowest non store card CL but a keeper for the shop Discover casback and relatively high level of cs.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 63 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

I had a 2k starting CL with Discover over an approx 2 yr period. tried to get a CLI but they wouldn't w/o an HP.  Finally gave in and allowed HP. am now almost at almost 7k after few HP increases, still my lowest non store card CL but a keeper for the shop Discover casback and relatively high level of cs.

I keep hearing Discover is great with CLI's and they might be with some people, but to go from 2K to almost 7K with a few HP increases as you say, is not great CLI's IMO.

No offense to you, I'm just making a point, I had my Plain AmEx Blue Cash (2K initial CL) 61 days, called and asked for a 6K total CL (4K increase) instantly approved, soft pull, now that's what I call good CLI, another example, my BankAmericard Cash Rewards World MasterCard, had it 3 months (5K initial CL) after 90 days I clicked the "Increase your Limit" button in my online account and requested a 5K CLI, bringing my CL to 10K, 2 days later my online accout reflected a 10K CL, soft pull. Those are what I would consider good CLI's from good CCC's.

Again I 100% agree with you about Discovers world class CS, but their CLI process really stinks, this is my opinion and my opinion only, I mean no disrespect to Discover and to those who have had great success with Discover.

Message 64 of 67
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

I keep hearing Discover is great with CLI's and they might be with some people, but to go from 2K to almost 7K with a few HP increases as you say, is not great CLI's IMO.

No offense to you, I'm just making a point, I had my Plain AmEx Blue Cash (2K initial CL) 61 days, called and asked for a 6K total CL (4K increase) instantly approved, soft pull, now that's what I call good CLI, another example, my BankAmericard Cash Rewards World MasterCard, had it 3 months (5K initial CL) after 90 days I clicked the "Increase your Limit" button in my online account and requested a 5K CLI, bringing my CL to 10K, 2 days later my online accout reflected a 10K CL, soft pull. Those are what I would consider good CLI's from good CCC's.

Again I 100% agree with you about Discovers world class CS, but their CLI process really stinks, this is my opinion and my opinion only, I mean no disrespect to Discover and to those who have had great success with Discover.

I agree. IME Discover has been significantly more conservative with increases than boa, citi, Amex, etc have been for hard free high dollar amount increases.  As implied in my PP used to object strongly to HP for CLI, until I realized that if obtained hard free CLIs from a handful of issuers that was just icing on the cake and to generally be prepared for a hard for any CLI request and just be happily surprised if it didn't happen. 

Also, with several 5 digit CLs already, have much more credit than I need. so for me, the Discover TU inq for 500-2k increases was worth it to get this rather conservative lenders TL up past 5K; don't really need more than that with their capped rewards programmes.  Any increase is a good one in my book, don't ever want to let my NFCU, Amex, etc.- the sky is the limit, generous lenders spoil me.  Through the years, have gotten a sense of the (oft changing) nuances of each of my lenders and to have a better idea when am barking up the wrong tree. 

If the rewards and cs work for you, perhaps consider riding it out... not every issuer will give Amex, etc. sized CLIs w/o an HP but if that's a deal breaker, then yes, Discover may not be a good fit.  Each different major issuer or CU I have has a somewhat different approach to CLI, etc. but have to say Discover does generally have growth potential, they're just dancing to the tune of their own drummer Smiley Very Happy

If am not mistaken, one of the vet mods, fused, I think closed his Discover card a while ago. don't recall why but don't think it had anything to do with HPs or CLIs- so we each have items that may become a 'deal breaker' as far as maintaining an account with an issuer. 

Personally, it would take quite something more for me to close a no fee, somewhat lucrative TL than concern about the size of an increase or an HP to get one. DIscover has given APRD on request, offered infrequent no fee 15 and 18 month BT offers (and frequent 5% fee BT offers, no thanks!) temporary decrease of regular APR to 1.9 for 6 months at a time I wanted to carry a balance for 2 months.  IME they are a rather solid issuer and have some nice perks my other cards do not offer...sorry I've managed to veer waaay OT again!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 65 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree that Discover does have growth potential, and no a hard pull for a CLI request is not a deal breaker for me, it's just the fact that I feel like I was kind given the shaft when I was approved with a 2K limit with such high scores and perfect reports, I have been reading lately Members here being approved with 3-5K CL's with sub 700 FICOS, that's what really bothering me I think.

Your reply was very well thought out and written, and kinda gives me a different perspective on how I was looking at it before, so Thank you for your reply because it may have saved me from closing the card just out of frustration.

score_building, I appreciate you taking your time to post that.

Message 66 of 67
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

"birjest",

I got approved for the American Express Gold Card. I'm so happy. I couldn't use my APO so I used my sister's address to get approved. They called my bank to verify the address and the cr came back to the phone and said " Wecome to American Express". I'm so happy. This is the card that I always wanted. I don't need to apply for any more CCs.

!!!! I'm on gardening mode !!!!

EQ FICO 779; TU FICO 783; EX FAKO 821
In my wallet: USAA AMEX, USAA World MasterCard,Service Credit Union Platinum Visa, Chase MasterCard, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More Card, American Express Gold, American Express Platinum, Chase Continental One Pass

Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.