Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Card

tag
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

American Express Card

Hello!

I would like to know is it anyone out there who had to try hard to get there score up to receive an american express card, if so, what does your score have to be around to receive an american express card.

Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Card

@ladyvg270 wrote:

Hello!

I would like to know is it anyone out there who had to try hard to get there score up to receive an american express card, if so, what does your score have to be around to receive an american express card.

I don't know the exact score, but the easiest of the AMEX cards to get approved for is the Delta Skymiles card.  If you try for one, that would be it, but I'd do it once you get closer to the 700s, not were you're currently at.

Message 2 of 67
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Generally its good to be around the 680's with no severe delinquents, BK, recent collections, and CO's. Is there a particular reason why you want an AMEX? Which one of their products did you have in mind?
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 3 of 67
manyquestions
Established Contributor

They pull Experian, so you will need to get your Experian up close to 700.  Along with the Delta Gold revolving card, the AMEX Green charge card in the past has been pretty easy to get, that was in the past, don't know about today or tomorrow.  Why do you want an AMEX?
Message 4 of 67
GFer
Valued Contributor

I don't have an answer or any wisdom about this (I, of course don't have one (thank goodness?! LOL).

I was just amused that a little more than 6 months ago, everyone would be telling you how awesome they are and now folks are asking "...why do you want one?..."  LOL

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not know what all the hype is about AMEX. I never had the card.  They send me pre approved offers a few times a year and I shred them.

Now I see the are doing CLD's on alot of people. Now I am sure glad I never applied for that cardSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 67
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

I just heard that american express cards was a great card to have. Do you have one? If so what was your score at the time? and what is it now?
Message 7 of 67
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

how did you get your score so high please give me some advice?

Message 8 of 67
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I do not think there really is any score that guarantees a card. My 18 yo with NO prior history was just approved for Blue Sky. I am sure it will be a low limit card with mid or top interest rate tier after the 1 year 0% intro period is over. So Daddy gets to be AU on baby's card. LOL. 
Message Edited by smallfry on 01-02-2009 06:17 PM
Message 9 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

They've tightened up now that their default rate is in the 6% area, which is high for them. They made the mistake of focusing on FICO too much when they grew their card base the last five years, which has really burned them. There were a lot of people with great FICOs but spending beyond their means and now they are defaulting. My guess is AMEX is looking at a lot more than just FICO now but you will probably need at least a 680 to even be considered.

In terms of how they are, Amex has better customer service than Visa or MC. Amex is a charge card which means you have to pay it off in full each month. This leads to a better relationship with them because it is a straight forward system - there isn't this game of teaser rates and late fees like there is with MC, Visa and other revolving cards. I think we all resent the games Visa and MC play. There isn't any of that at AMEX which I appreciate. Off course, this means you have to pay off your card at the end of the month, which if you are new to charge cards, is probably a good habit to get into anyway.  The downside of AMEX is they send you an endless supply of junk mail and after being a good customer for a while, they are always trying to upgrade you to more expensive cards that you don't need, such as the gold card or platinum card....."be part of an exclusive group of members who..blah blah blah." These cards are overpriced and provide no meaningful benefit. 

The other thing to keep in mind that I just learned is that they don't report a credit limit to FICO so FICO takes the month with the highest balance and uses that as your limit.  This can lead to your utilization rate being exaggerated if you are mindful of when you pay your card off, etc. 

Message 10 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.