Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Card

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Card

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO, AmEx is the best CCC out there, customer service is the absolute best, the perks are great, they are very generous with CLI's, they backdate, should I continue?

Mustang don't mean to hijack this thread but did you request a CLI with Discover yet?

Message 51 of 67
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I have carried a balance around 40-50% with AMEX and they seemed to like it judging by the CLI and new card Approval

Message 52 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO, AmEx is the best CCC out there, customer service is the absolute best, the perks are great, they are very generous with CLI's, they backdate, should I continue?

Mustang don't mean to hijack this thread but did you request a CLI with Discover yet?

Not to continue the threadjack, but Mustang didn't say that AMEX gives the best CLIs.  Just that they are generous.  Discover's level of generosity doesn't have any bearing on whether or not AMEX is generous Smiley Happy

Message 53 of 67
score_building
Senior Contributor

@redwalker2929 wrote:

I have carried a balance around 40-50% with AMEX and they seemed to like it judging by the CLI and new card Approval

Invariably they liked the interest fees (if any) but receiving a CLI and new Amex product may have been primarily for other reasons, for e.g. they may've liked spending pattern and amex score, etc...carrying balances could have been the weakest variable upon account review (depending on how briskly they were dispensed of) and untamed they can sometimes contribute to AA, if they're feeling tested at any point in time. 

Carrying moderately high balances and then receiving an approval for a CLI and new Amex card were not in a cause and effect relationship necessarily, they take into account several factors.  In any case, Congrats on the good fortune, am a big fan of Amex overall, member since 1990.  Of course by all means continue to use the card as you see fit.  IMO don't think it is safe to assume they're always going to be ok with card holders carrying significant balances for any length of time.  There is some evidence that they are generally more comfortable with PIF, although revolvers for any ccc are the 'sweet spot' with respect to profit margins.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 54 of 67
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm in the US Army station in Germany. I have an APO for an address. Can I still apply for an Amex Card? If I cannot apply suing my APO address, is there another way to do it? Any ideas?

Thank you

!!!! I'm on gardening mode !!!!

EQ FICO 779; TU FICO 783; EX FAKO 821
In my wallet: USAA AMEX, USAA World MasterCard,Service Credit Union Platinum Visa, Chase MasterCard, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More Card, American Express Gold, American Express Platinum, Chase Continental One Pass

Message 55 of 67
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you can use an APO Address.  When I applied for my Zync, there was the "wait for x amount of day windows".  I called to see if they needed more info, and after 3 reps, I got in touch with a good one who called my USAA 3-way to verified I had an FPO Address.  Since I did updated my address, USAA verified, AMEX put me on hold for like 60 sec, came back with, "Welcome to AMEX."  They do that to make sure the card goes to you and only you.  PM me for more info.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 56 of 67
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

Excellent,

I will try that then. What surprises me is the fact that so many people applied for the card and got such small CL like $500 or $1000. Is this normal?

In my wallet: USAA AMEX, USAA World MasterCard,Service Credit Union Platinum Visa, Chase MasterCard, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More Card, American Express Gold, American Express Platinum, Chase Continental One Pass

Message 57 of 67
sandsanta
Contributor

I believe they increase/remove it completely after awhile depending on your spending profile pans out.  Zinc definitely isn't the card you should be applying for if you're passed entry level cards. 

Message 58 of 67
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

The Amex I'd like to get is the Amex Green Card. I'll give it a shot.

Message 59 of 67
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

birjest,

I tried to apply for the green american express today but the American Express representative told me I couldn't do it using my APO address. I told them that they could call my bank to verify my address but he said it was not possible. I called again later on the day and I was told the same thing by another rep. Any ideas?

Message 60 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.