cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Charge Card Spending Limit DECREASED!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

American Express Charge Card Spending Limit DECREASED!

So after my friends ebay bill failed to pay on the amex card I have provided him for business $114.00 I called and had a very extensive unhappy conversation with a somewhat nice lady.

Current balance $8200 (give or take a few) - Sir you are at your spending limit for the month.

Last month balance $12500 (give or take)  What am I missing.

American Express now basis charging limits on charge cards based on AVERAGE from last 6 months.  My average is $8000.  

ME: Then how was I allowed to charge so much more than my average last month?

Her: Your average is only $8000 and you are currently just over that so you won't be able to charge more until that is paid EVEN though your bill is not DUE until March 7.

Me: I get average but last month!??

In the end she stuck by the average thing and she would not unlock my account for ANY spending above current balance and once it was paid I would have ROUGHLY 8k again BUT if I started to charge more than my average would go up and I would be allowed to charge more.

and she made a point to say we have not declined any charges we just referred them, if they called in they probably would have been approved so no embarrassment.

She also mentioned current balances on 2 other business cards with them $2k and 5k, so she said you are currently at 16k and that is all you are allowed, wrong again based on my charges from last month and the fact that these balances on the other 2 cards have moved VERY LITTLE over the last year because I was boycotting paying them off since they SLASHED the credit lines on a total of 5 amex cards.

So the days of 20% charging ability ABOVE highest balance paid is no longer... I'm so upset, I had worked my charging ability up over 18k and now with average I'm all the way down to 8.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to replace them with something else but the fact is I don't know any other cards that will work?? Is Diners any good anymore? and isn't it a credit card with limit now vs charge card with no limit like it use to be? 

Message Edited by Creditaddict on 02-25-2009 01:07 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Charge Card Spending Limit DECREASED!

Keep in mind this is per individual account activity. This is not across the board. Asked while on the phone having a CLI on Clear.

Hope it works out , I know you have extensive history.

CI

Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

for sure this is individual... but I'm hardly the only one with an experience with Amex and I would consider myself very lucky getting a cli from amex these days.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am glad I don't have an AMEX card, I prefer MC to Amex anyways. CLD are happening all over the place. I would suggest a DISCOVER card or see if you can find a card with a low APR.
Message 4 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Couple of weeks ago, when my family was travelling to Asia, I called Amex and said what is max they can charge on my gold card. CSR said $2500. I told her nicely,  thanks since this card will be used as backup there will not be any issue with limit. CSR is very nice and said if my family needs any assistance overseas she suggested they should call the phone number on the back of the card and they will arrange what ever assistance they need, in case if they loose the passport / need cash advance or need any kind of assistance during the travel to call them with out any hesitation. I felt very good about the way CSR assured me. I guess it is not just the money, some times it is good to have a friend who can help in need. I am very much impressed with Amex especially for travel. Once I get my Clear upgrade card for Optima which is due next month, I would not have any more quarrels with Amex. I would give Amex and all other banks to figure out their problems during this economic times and come out the glut they are in. 
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.