Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Charge Cards

tag
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

American Express Charge Cards

I have a question.  I heard that no matter how many Amex Charge cards you have, its the same bucket of credit per say.  Is this true?  So it does not have matter if you have more than one, Amex will only apporve you for a certain amount.

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
5 REPLIES 5
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Charge Cards

Probably. You still have the same income, and score (if that matters).

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

I have a question.  I heard that no matter how many Amex Charge cards you have, its the same bucket of credit per say.  Is this true?  So it does not have matter if you have more than one, Amex will only apporve you for a certain amount.

I don't understand the question.

Charge cards are not the same as credit cards in that they do not have a limit and are are not (generally) able to revolve debt.

Amex won't care how many charge cards you have because you have to pay off whatever you spend with them every month (again, generally speaking). There isn't a bucket of credit for them, since they are not revolving credit products.

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

Charge cards are not the same as credit cards in that they do not have a limit and are are not (generally) able to revolve debt.

Amex won't care how many charge cards you have because you have to pay off whatever you spend with them every month (again, generally speaking). There isn't a bucket of credit for them, since they are not revolving credit products.

I assume the OP means within the month for example.

So, let's say I have the green card and it turns out I can charge a max of $30K (for this exercise, ignore how exactly that would be determined!).    If I added the gold card, would I be able an additional amount after charging $30K on the green?

For the reasons stated by others, I would suspect not, so in that sense, all the charge cards are accessing the same bucket of "charging"

Message 4 of 6
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

I assume the OP means within the month for example.

So, let's say I have the green card and it turns out I can charge a max of $30K (for this exercise, ignore how exactly that would be determined!).    If I added the gold card, would I be able an additional amount after charging $30K on the green?

For the reasons stated by others, I would suspect not, so in that sense, all the charge cards are accessing the same bucket of "charging"

Yes That was exactly what I was asking. 

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes sense that it would be that way, but I'm not sure it is. I have several charge cards with them. I tested the "check spending power" button on all of mine and my Platinum goes way higher than my others. I tested the platinum last BTW...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.