Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Double WOW!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

American Express Double WOW!

So my friend was here today and says to me he needs a new credit card and after finding out what he wanted to use it for I told him to apply for Gold Charge card.

It was instantly approved.

okay so now for the wows!

He applied for Best Buy tonight and was denied so I was like we need to pull myfico, so we pulled TU.

1. Amex pulled TU

2. his score is 638 with 1 collection.

YES 638 and Amex Approved! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DI
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Double WOW!

@Creditaddict wrote:

So my friend was here today and says to me he needs a new credit card and after finding out what he wanted to use it for I told him to apply for Gold Charge card.

It was instantly approved.

okay so now for the wows!

He applied for Best Buy tonight and was denied so I was like we need to pull myfico, so we pulled TU.

1. Amex pulled TU

2. his score is 638 with 1 collection.

YES 638 and Amex Approved! 

It's possible that the computer system doesn't always get things right.  I have heard of cases of people getting approved and later being contacted to decline them. 

Since he been approved, he want to do what he can to get his scores higher.  During an AR, AMEX may decide to take adverse actions.  

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Also I thought that Amex pulls EX. Maybe they pulled both TU and EX? If so, maybe his EX report appears stronger?
Message 3 of 8
keith021
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Also I thought that Amex pulls EX. Maybe they pulled both TU and EX? If so, maybe his EX report appears stronger?

I was thinking the same thing...

Congrats to your friend! Smiley Wink 

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I told him we should pull his other 2 reports next month once amex is on there, so I will let you know but I sure thought they pulled EX also and maybe that collection isn't on his EX and it's much stronger.  I think what's really hurting him is he has no open credit cards besides a Macy's he just opened last week which is showing up already.  I'm working on getting the collection removed and I think he will be in the 700's with his new credit accounts. 

Message 5 of 8
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Back in the day (okay, 2007), I got my first Amex w/ a sub-600 score.  Sad, but true.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 years ago I got my Amex with a 628 EX score. My score is now over 700 and I still can't get a CLI.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please remember that AMEX use their own scoring model to assess risk.    there are people who have listed very high score  high 700 and got denied.  yes denied.    so a low score with other thing they look for is more important.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.