American Express EMV Chip For Most Cards

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

@TheClub wrote:

@Gatortrout wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but

1. Is there any downfall to the EMV chip if you leave the country at most once every 2 years. As it appears you cannot convert back.

2. Would it be possible to upgrade my BCP if I just opened the account a week ago.

Thanks again

First off congrats on your new account!

But to answer your questions AFAIK there aren't any disadvantages to having the EMV chip. I was under the impression that this would be an advantage assuming the US will most likely make the conversion in the future and an added feature for when traveling overseas.  

Also, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about the chip.  Not sure if AMEX cares the you're a new member or not but they should be willing to extend the feature to you. 

Good luck

I concur with TheClub; I have only been a member for a little over a month and pushed through about $900 (not counting a refund I had to get from the doctor's since they overcharged me $300) on the card since then. I just told the rep that I'm planning on going on a cruise to visit "foreign countries" in January (didn't tell them it was simply the Bahamas, besides the fact I wouldn't dare use my AMEX there when it has a FTF), and would like the chip. Was no problem, she looked into it, had me confirm some info, made sure I was positive about the change (told her I planned on travelling more in the coming years, so it was perfectly fine), and voila! Will receive my shiny on Friday :3

This is what happens when you're in the garden...you look for ways to receive new cards Smiley Tongue and this was a perfect way! I'm ready for my first chip card!!!

Message 61 of 212
GOldfishes
Contributor

Anyone had luck with Green?

Also, is chat not available at this hour? I can't seem to find a way to get into a chat on the website?

Experian: 734 Equifax: 765 Transunion:776

BoA Cash Rewards($6500)|Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX($5000)|Chase Freedom($4000)|
Chase Sapphire Preferred($6500)|Amex PRG ($NPSL)|Amex SPG($6000)|Amex Business Gold Rewards($NPSL)|Amex BCE ($10,200)|Citi AA Exec ($10,500)|
Message 62 of 212
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@Gatortrout wrote:

1. Is there any downfall to the EMV chip if you leave the country at most once every 2 years. As it appears you cannot convert back.

2. Would it be possible to upgrade my BCP if I just opened the account a week ago.

Thanks again

But to answer your questions AFAIK there aren't any disadvantages to having the EMV chip. I was under the impression that this would be an advantage assuming the US will most likely make the conversion in the future and an added feature for when traveling overseas.  

Also, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about the chip.  Not sure if AMEX cares the you're a new member or not but they should be willing to extend the feature to you. 

Good luck

I concur with TheClub; I have only been a member for a little over a month and pushed through about $900 (not counting a refund I had to get from the doctor's since they overcharged me $300) on the card since then. I just told the rep that I'm planning on going on a cruise to visit "foreign countries" in January (didn't tell them it was simply the Bahamas, besides the fact I wouldn't dare use my AMEX there when it has a FTF), and would like the chip. Was no problem, she looked into it, had me confirm some info, made sure I was positive about the change (told her I planned on travelling more in the coming years, so it was perfectly fine), and voila! Will receive my shiny on Friday :3

This is what happens when you're in the garden...you look for ways to receive new cards Smiley Tongue and this was a perfect way! I'm ready for my first chip card!!!

This is what frustrates me with Amex. While the addition of EMV chips is a good thing, the value of this new feature is really limited by the continuing presence of forex charges on all cards other than the platinum.

In many respects, they're still quite behind on this compared to others like Chase (and even CapOne). I don't think many will swap to using their PRG overseas (even if it has a new EMV chip), simply due to the 2.7% forex charge added to every transaction.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 63 of 212
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@Gatortrout wrote:

Thanks again

Good luck

This is what frustrates me with Amex. While the addition of EMV chips is a good thing, the value of this new feature is really limited by the continuing presence of forex charges on all cards other than the platinum.

In many respects, they're still quite behind on this compared to others like Chase (and even CapOne). I don't think many will swap to using their PRG overseas (even if it has a new EMV chip), simply due to the 2.7% forex charge added to every transaction.

Yeah...and I'm surprised with Cap One having no FTF, they don't have more chip options for US residence, especially considering that they service Canada and the UK. Even though, so far, my Cap One doesn't have rewards, it'll definitely be on the forefront of my spending in the Bahamas, unless the Freedom has a useful category (like restaurants), to result in a profit, even with the FTF.

Message 64 of 212
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@Gatortrout wrote:

Thanks again

Good luck

Yeah...and I'm surprised with Cap One having no FTF, they don't have more chip options for US residence, especially considering that they service Canada and the UK. Even though, so far, my Cap One doesn't have rewards, it'll definitely be on the forefront of my spending in the Bahamas, unless the Freedom has a useful category (like restaurants), to result in a profit, even with the FTF.

This isn't just a CapOne issue, but moreso that they don't deem it necessary or financially worthwhile yet. For example Amex cards issued here all have EMV chips and have for years, but they are just rolling them out now in the US. They could have done it years ago, but didn't see the need until lately.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 65 of 212
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Here's my story..... About 3 hrs ago, i went on  Amex online chat and talked to a guy .  At first he told me i could not get the EMV Chip on my BCP. I told him,I had a friend  that got one.After about 5 mins.  he told me i was not eligible to get a EMV Card..............Fast forward till about 15 mins ago. I went back to the online chat and got a nice lady this time. I told her i was going overseas and i wanted the EMV Chip Card. After a few mins she came back and said she could send it over night and it would be here Sept 13.

PS : Don't take no for an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 66 of 212
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

I used chat and was able to get EMV replacements for my Gold and BCE.

They didn't overnight them, but that is fine....

Message 67 of 212
mike1789

What are the benefits of an EMV chip?

Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000 - Chase Sapphire $5,000 - Chase Marriott $5,000 - American Express SPG 1,000 - BOA $900 - Chase Freedom $700 - Banco Popular secured $500
09/02/13 693 Experian 09/02/13 694 Transunion
Message 68 of 212
jna
New Contributor

Thanks for the info.Just called amex to request for an EMV chip for my PRG,Blue Sky and BCE.i will receive it tomorrow!

Message 69 of 212
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@mike1789 wrote:

What are the benefits of an EMV chip?

Here you go this is EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know, and a bunch of stuff you won't care about.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 70 of 212
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.