Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 10,067
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!


mike1789 wrote:

What are the benefits of an EMV chip?


If you stay in the US, none.

If you have a card with a Foreign Transaction Fee (unless you don't have any card without an FTF) none

If you are outside the US, and have a card without a FTF: probably not much!   I've found one place in Europe where it wouldn't take a swipe card but would take chip&sig.   There are many more places that require chip&pin, but the Amex cards here currently don't support that.  It may be different in some regions where chip&sig is more common.

 

People here are getting excited over what is more or less useless decoration.

Established Contributor
Posts: 727
Registered: ‎01-13-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

I just called and got it!! Woot Woot!

 

Nothing better than getting a new card with no INQ or new accounts hitting my CR!!

 

muhahaha

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Contributor
Posts: 88
Registered: ‎03-29-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!


zerobacan wrote:

I just called and got it!! Woot Woot!

 

Nothing better than getting a new card with no INQ or new accounts hitting my CR!!

 

muhahaha


What's your point here where you can order a replacement card from almost all bank for free?


Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,099
Registered: ‎10-02-2012
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

Want to make sure people know this is chip and signature, not the chip and pin you may find useful. Places such as train kiosk may require chip and pin.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Established Contributor
Posts: 727
Registered: ‎01-13-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!


minipoly1 wrote:

zerobacan wrote:

I just called and got it!! Woot Woot!

 

Nothing better than getting a new card with no INQ or new accounts hitting my CR!!

 

muhahaha


What's your point here where you can order a replacement card from almost all bank for free?


The point is irony :smileywink:

 

 

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,300
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!


longtimelurker wrote:

mike1789 wrote:

What are the benefits of an EMV chip?


If you stay in the US, none.

If you have a card with a Foreign Transaction Fee (unless you don't have any card without an FTF) none

If you are outside the US, and have a card without a FTF: probably not much!   I've found one place in Europe where it wouldn't take a swipe card but would take chip&sig.   There are many more places that require chip&pin, but the Amex cards here currently don't support that.  It may be different in some regions where chip&sig is more common.

 

People here are getting excited over what is more or less useless decoration.


+1. This sums it up quite nicely.

 

To be blunt, most Americans simply don't travel enough internationally to notice the difference. For these people, EMV is a novelty with little practical use. The minority who travel overseas often likely have other alternatives already. This definitely isn't a game-changer, and especially with FTFs present on most Amex cards.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎04-07-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

Just got one for my AMEX Gold card via live chat.

 

Note that they seem to confuse with the word "EMV chip" try using "Chip with Signature" instead.

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Regular Contributor
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎07-27-2012
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

Tried the live chat and I was told it was only available to platinum card members. Called in 5 minutes later and they're sending it to me overnight.
Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($10k), AMEX BCE ($10.2k), Arrival ($7.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($5k)

1/15 - 792 Fico EX (AMEX) - In garden indefinitely.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 176
Registered: ‎03-20-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!


CreditScholar wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

mike1789 wrote:

What are the benefits of an EMV chip?


If you stay in the US, none.

If you have a card with a Foreign Transaction Fee (unless you don't have any card without an FTF) none

If you are outside the US, and have a card without a FTF: probably not much!   I've found one place in Europe where it wouldn't take a swipe card but would take chip&sig.   There are many more places that require chip&pin, but the Amex cards here currently don't support that.  It may be different in some regions where chip&sig is more common.

 

People here are getting excited over what is more or less useless decoration.


+1. This sums it up quite nicely.

 

To be blunt, most Americans simply don't travel enough internationally to notice the difference. For these people, EMV is a novelty with little practical use. The minority who travel overseas often likely have other alternatives already. This definitely isn't a game-changer, and especially with FTFs present on most Amex cards.


Adding a +2 here. The American EMV chip & sig never worked for me in places overseas! They required Chip & PIN instead. And guess what? places that actually accepted my Chip & Sig already accepts the mag stripe.

 

Basically, American EMV Chip & Sig = MOOT.

 

But i really like the way it looks... =)

Contributor
Posts: 88
Registered: ‎03-29-2013
0

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

BCE with EMV received! Looks great!

 

Also, BCE is a clear plastic so I can see what's behind the chip LOL


Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.