American Express EMV Chip For Most Cards

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX PR Gold EMV Chip!

@mike1789 wrote:

What are the benefits of an EMV chip?

If you stay in the US, none.

If you have a card with a Foreign Transaction Fee (unless you don't have any card without an FTF) none

If you are outside the US, and have a card without a FTF: probably not much!   I've found one place in Europe where it wouldn't take a swipe card but would take chip&sig.   There are many more places that require chip&pin, but the Amex cards here currently don't support that.  It may be different in some regions where chip&sig is more common.

People here are getting excited over what is more or less useless decoration.

Message 71 of 212
zerobacan
Established Contributor

I just called and got it!! Woot Woot!

Nothing better than getting a new card with no INQ or new accounts hitting my CR!!

muhahaha

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 72 of 212
minipoly1
Contributor

@zerobacan wrote:

Nothing better than getting a new card with no INQ or new accounts hitting my CR!!

muhahaha

What's your point here where you can order a replacement card from almost all bank for free?

Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Message 73 of 212
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Want to make sure people know this is chip and signature, not the chip and pin you may find useful. Places such as train kiosk may require chip and pin.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 74 of 212
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@minipoly1 wrote:

@zerobacan wrote:

muhahaha

What's your point here where you can order a replacement card from almost all bank for free?

The point is irony Smiley Wink

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 75 of 212
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mike1789 wrote:

If you have a card with a Foreign Transaction Fee (unless you don't have any card without an FTF) none

If you are outside the US, and have a card without a FTF: probably not much!   I've found one place in Europe where it wouldn't take a swipe card but would take chip&sig.   There are many more places that require chip&pin, but the Amex cards here currently don't support that.  It may be different in some regions where chip&sig is more common.

+1. This sums it up quite nicely.

To be blunt, most Americans simply don't travel enough internationally to notice the difference. For these people, EMV is a novelty with little practical use. The minority who travel overseas often likely have other alternatives already. This definitely isn't a game-changer, and especially with FTFs present on most Amex cards.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 76 of 212
thecentury303
New Contributor

Just got one for my AMEX Gold card via live chat.

Note that they seem to confuse with the word "EMV chip" try using "Chip with Signature" instead.

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 77 of 212
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Tried the live chat and I was told it was only available to platinum card members. Called in 5 minutes later and they're sending it to me overnight.
Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 78 of 212
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mike1789 wrote:

+1. This sums it up quite nicely.

To be blunt, most Americans simply don't travel enough internationally to notice the difference. For these people, EMV is a novelty with little practical use. The minority who travel overseas often likely have other alternatives already. This definitely isn't a game-changer, and especially with FTFs present on most Amex cards.

Adding a +2 here. The American EMV chip & sig never worked for me in places overseas! They required Chip & PIN instead. And guess what? places that actually accepted my Chip & Sig already accepts the mag stripe.

Basically, American EMV Chip & Sig = MOOT.

But i really like the way it looks... =)

Message 79 of 212
minipoly1
Contributor

BCE with EMV received! Looks great!

Also, BCE is a clear plastic so I can see what's behind the chip LOL

Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Message 80 of 212
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.