cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Easiest to Hardest Card To Get??????

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Easiest to Hardest Card To Get??????

Tell me again how you think that I am not on the right track!  Over 200 point FICO increase in little over a year...

If you are happy with your progress then that is all that matters.  Scores mean very little on their own.  Not to be critical but just survey your situation, you have a lot of cards.  My guess is that they all have low cls with a high apr.  you have store cards which to me are worthless clutter.  To me, only me, that is not progress.  Amex will give out gold cards all day long to weak scores because they have zero spend available – so great, you have a gold card that is worth nothing.  I have scores in the 700s but they weak scores and I am considered a credit risk – my low cls and high apr prove the point.  Read the baller/penfed thread – lots of people get 30-50k cls with ~10-12% - now that is progress, only a great file and power scores will bag the big cards.  To me there is zero point and fun in getting a low cl on a card and fighting for a cli all the time.  Better to garden, plan, pay on time, close the garbage and wait for real scores and files with depth to do the talking.  There are a ton of people on this board that have single cards that = our total cls.  Lots and lots of them.  1 card with a 50k limit.  Something to think about.  Talk about something easy to manage. I just had w.l. weller12 yo before writing this so sorry if it makes little sense lol.  good luck on your journey.

Message 21 of 50
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With having 90 inquiries on EX and 16 negative accounts on EX as well, plus these two new accounts being only 30 days old, I would not say the prospects look promising, unfortunately.

I'd work on gardening down the 90 inquiries and working on the negatives as best you can. 

A 631 EX score is also not a strong point in applying for any of the cards you mentioned.

90 inquiries just on one bureau also tells me that you applied and were denied for many accounts, and this should be telling you something important.

Actually I haven't been turned down for too much.  I have 35 credit card, 3 installment loans and 2 auto loans.  I have obtained 3 auto loans in the last two years (all approved).  You know how you get a bunch of inquires for each auto loan so if you do the math, that is about 90 inquires.  I was approved 06-03-16 with Amex for both of those cards.  I had a 628 Experian score with 90 inquires.

If you think 90 inquiries just on one bureau is not an issue, I don't even know what to say to that. Good luck.

I never said that I didn't think it was as issue.  What I do know is that 03-20-15, I had was in the low 400's, didn't have any credit cards, no auto loans and couldn't get a soda on credit.  Now, a little over a year later, I have my scores in the 630 range, almost 30k in credit cards, most with large banks and not sub prime, 2 auto loans on 2015 cars that were brand new off the lot.  I believe I had made major progress in the last year.  If I obtained all of this in the last year, then I am doing something right.  I had over 200 negatives on my credit report in march 2015.  Most of them were medical.  I have PFT on most of them and got them all removed except for around 30.  Tell me again how you think that I am not on the right track!  Over 200 point FICO increase in little over a year...

Pretty sure OP 2 Amex SL is 1000. Ur going to have a hard time getting a cli on that starting limit. After 61 days u try for the 3x limit its going to be turned down cause of fico score being too low. I also start rebuilding my credit in 3/2015 but now I have about 180k in CL and 4 installment loans totaling about 200k yes my score dropped a lot down to 630-650 now before it was in the 680-695. So applying for too many credit all at once isn't a great thing. Now I can't get any new credit at all. When I try it always return with a letter saying too many recent new accounts. I also got my Amex when my experian was 690. Got the BCE with 18k and BCP with 12k SL now BCE is still at 18k and BCP is at 36k this was before my score dropped from 12 new credit card and 3 new installment loan (2 for cars and 1 for a pair of jet skis)

What was your starting score at your rebuld 03-2015?  I just went back and looked at my records and I was between 410-418 on all 3.

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 22 of 50
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

Tell me again how you think that I am not on the right track!  Over 200 point FICO increase in little over a year...

If you are happy with your progress then that is all that matters.  Scores mean very little on their own.  Not to be critical but just survey your situation, you have a lot of cards.  My guess is that they all have low cls with a high apr.  you have store cards which to me are worthless clutter.  To me, only me, that is not progress.  Amex will give out gold cards all day long to weak scores because they have zero spend available – so great, you have a gold card that is worth nothing.  I have scores in the 700s but they weak scores and I am considered a credit risk – my low cls and high apr prove the point.  Read the baller/penfed thread – lots of people get 30-50k cls with ~10-12% - now that is progress, only a great file and power scores will bag the big cards.  To me there is zero point and fun in getting a low cl on a card and fighting for a cli all the time.  Better to garden, plan, pay on time, close the garbage and wait for real scores and files with depth to do the talking.  There are a ton of people on this board that have single cards that = our total cls.  Lots and lots of them.  1 card with a 50k limit.  Something to think about.  Talk about something easy to manage. I just had w.l. weller12 yo before writing this so sorry if it makes little sense lol.  good luck on your journey.

Thank you for your reply bourgogne.  I am happy thus far.  Low 400's to 630 range in a year.  Going from 0 credit, no loans to 29500 in credit, 2 auto loans....  As for the APR, I have no idea what the APR is.  I have never paid interest on these cards. I always PIF every month.  Most of my cards aren't sub prime.  As for the store credit, yeah I have a bunch of those.  I was waiting till my scores were above 675 before closing any of them.  Do you think that almost 60 plus positive accounts would make me considered not a thin file.  I believe that is a thick file.  When I purchased my last car, the finance director said I was teir 1 (and wrote the loan for that and the bank approved) due to the fact that my file was so thick.  It didn't matter that I had a bunch of inquires or 30 neg accounts.  It mattered that I had 7 auto loans paid off, never late, never an issue.  I know.  My goal is to get rid of those low limit cards and have only 10-15 cards with high limits.  Bloomingdales has me at 100 and Fingerhut 200.  Those are killing my average.  My highest card is 3500 which is amazon and walmart at 3500 as well.    I enjoyed your reply.  Thank you!

Message 23 of 50
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@CostantinoA wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Thank you for your reply bourgogne.  I am happy thus far.  Low 400's to 630 range in a year.  Going from 0 credit, no loans to 29500 in credit, 2 auto loans....  As for the APR, I have no idea what the APR is.  I have never paid interest on these cards. I always PIF every month.  Most of my cards aren't sub prime.  As for the store credit, yeah I have a bunch of those.  I was waiting till my scores were above 675 before closing any of them.  Do you think that almost 60 plus positive accounts would make me considered not a thin file.  I believe that is a thick file.  When I purchased my last car, the finance director said I was teir 1 (and wrote the loan for that and the bank approved) due to the fact that my file was so thick.  It didn't matter that I had a bunch of inquires or 30 neg accounts.  It mattered that I had 7 auto loans paid off, never late, never an issue.  I know.  My goal is to get rid of those low limit cards and have only 10-15 cards with high limits.  Bloomingdales has me at 100 and Fingerhut 200.  Those are killing my average.  My highest card is 3500 which is amazon and walmart at 3500 as well.    I enjoyed your reply.  Thank you!

I happen to like clean finances and no debt.  This means few cards – even if I had scores in the 800s I would not get more cards.  I don’t care about apr myself as I pif but it is indicative of a lenders view of a borrower.  Low cls and high apr = risk.  Each lender has their ‘thing’  for example I found out penfed does not care for self-employed individuals.  They wanted tax returns.  I did not want to pony them up for a piece of plastic.  By luck someone called me and gave me a card but it was not the norm of what people get here, it’s was 10K.  All I can say is read the baller thread if you want to know where you really stand.  Also the fico all-stars thread.  I will never app for another card until I can be very sure that it will yield a cl north of 20-25K.  That means no more cards for a very long time.  I had great credit at one time and lost it all due to the recession and divorce.  No bk but it was bad enough.  I am never going down that path again.  Never.  Be smart and manage what you have.  Never be late.  Ever.  Take care

Message 24 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With having 90 inquiries on EX and 16 negative accounts on EX as well, plus these two new accounts being only 30 days old, I would not say the prospects look promising, unfortunately.

I'd work on gardening down the 90 inquiries and working on the negatives as best you can. 

A 631 EX score is also not a strong point in applying for any of the cards you mentioned.

90 inquiries just on one bureau also tells me that you applied and were denied for many accounts, and this should be telling you something important.

Actually I haven't been turned down for too much.  I have 35 credit card, 3 installment loans and 2 auto loans.  I have obtained 3 auto loans in the last two years (all approved).  You know how you get a bunch of inquires for each auto loan so if you do the math, that is about 90 inquires.  I was approved 06-03-16 with Amex for both of those cards.  I had a 628 Experian score with 90 inquires.

If you think 90 inquiries just on one bureau is not an issue, I don't even know what to say to that. Good luck.

I never said that I didn't think it was as issue.  What I do know is that 03-20-15, I had was in the low 400's, didn't have any credit cards, no auto loans and couldn't get a soda on credit.  Now, a little over a year later, I have my scores in the 630 range, almost 30k in credit cards, most with large banks and not sub prime, 2 auto loans on 2015 cars that were brand new off the lot.  I believe I had made major progress in the last year.  If I obtained all of this in the last year, then I am doing something right.  I had over 200 negatives on my credit report in march 2015.  Most of them were medical.  I have PFT on most of them and got them all removed except for around 30.  Tell me again how you think that I am not on the right track!  Over 200 point FICO increase in little over a year...

Pretty sure OP 2 Amex SL is 1000. Ur going to have a hard time getting a cli on that starting limit. After 61 days u try for the 3x limit its going to be turned down cause of fico score being too low. I also start rebuilding my credit in 3/2015 but now I have about 180k in CL and 4 installment loans totaling about 200k yes my score dropped a lot down to 630-650 now before it was in the 680-695. So applying for too many credit all at once isn't a great thing. Now I can't get any new credit at all. When I try it always return with a letter saying too many recent new accounts. I also got my Amex when my experian was 690. Got the BCE with 18k and BCP with 12k SL now BCE is still at 18k and BCP is at 36k this was before my score dropped from 12 new credit card and 3 new installment loan (2 for cars and 1 for a pair of jet skis)

What was your starting score at your rebuld 03-2015?  I just went back and looked at my records and I was between 410-418 on all 3.

My score was in the low 400-420 across all 3. Reason score that low cause I closed out all my revolving account in 2009-2010. Got one charge off from Wells Fargo in 2010 for 1200. The past 3 years have 3 collections from Comcast which was deleted after dispute with CRA. So record pretty clean now after the 6ish year idle. My score is low mainly cause of idle and the stupid charge off from Wells Fargo that I thought I paid and close all my cards in good standing. My Amex also have high limit is cause I think I was a customer with them in 2007 and had a card with them with 50k limit and closed that in 2009 with good standing. Also have a paid mortgage from 2010 where I took out loan in 2006. Also got 4 previous car loans all paid in full and on time all those Loan taken out in 2006. When the economy was bad was when I closed everything and let credit idle

Message 25 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

File thin or thick depends on how long has credit been on ur file. Having 60 open account isn't thick. I literally got like 40 account within a year. Which is what happens when I got on this site. Before this site back in 2006 I only had like 6 credit cards with a total CL of around 200k. It's surprising with a 630-650 score u can get tier one financing for car.. The vehicle must be an American brand and they already made enough on the selling price so they did captive lending with 0-1.9% for u

Message 26 of 50
thummel
Established Contributor

All I have to say about the original OP posts was I answered his question. With 90 inq on EX I wouldn't be applying for much at that time and only would be applying for things that are useful and will grow in the future. 1K limits from amex are very hard to grow. Adding accounts isn't going to be a problem solver in the long run. But everybody can make there own choices and all we can do it try to support them and guide then.
Message 27 of 50
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

Yes it was an American Car.  I have numerous auto loans paid in full (10 to be exactly) and have two open right now at the same time. As far as car credit,  I am golden. 

Message 28 of 50
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

I understand. I was just approved for Citi double cash 2k limit. What I don't understand is people here say you've can't get approved with a bunch of inquires with low score but I am getting approvals on prime cards. The issue with the low average limits is that I have some store cards that are 100, 200 and 5 at 250. That is what is killing my average.  I might close them if I get the Propel Amex I was pre approved for. 

Message 29 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish you well, but I think you fail to understand all the great wisdom that has replied to your thread. You have tossed out some of the best guidance on this entire site, just to go throw yourself at lenders for 1-5k in credit on a single card..

Its easy to rebuild to a point to get approvals, its hard to understand even tho you have a 600's score..it still sucks... Take the advice from those here and just wait it out...I got my 3 cards I wanted, now I am settling in for a good 2 year stent of gardening.

Just wait...for the sake of credit gods Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.