Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Experience

tag
CEMoore1942

American Express Experience

Hello,

I would like to say that I have viewed these boards for some time now for advice and I appreciate everything.  In January, after a lifetime of never applying for a credit card, I was inspired to apply for an American Express Green Card. I am heavy on assets, but my income is not incredibly high and my scores weren't great.  I had a collection at that time for about $1K.  I was denied for the card and very disappointed.  Immediately after, I paid the collection and went on my way.

Fast forward to last week.  I apply for the American Express Gold Card thinking there is no shot in hell.  I stare at the screen as the application is processed thinking to myself "It is about to say declined."  Turns out - approved instantly.  I was stunned and very happy.  The card has still not arrived - will get here between Wednesday and the Monday after if 7 to 10 business days is accurate.  The next day, wanting to have a MasterCard also, I applied for the Capital One Cash Rewards and guess what - applications sitting on it for 7 to 10 days!  I guess I'll find out...

I got some advice from this forum and from others around the internet.  It seemed the requirements for the Gold and Platinum were not far apart.  I had planned to wait 13 months and upgrade to the Platinum when offered, but figured what the hell.  I applied for it and upon submitting the application, saw a notice that they needed to speak with me before giving me a decision.  I called the number and spoke with a very friendly attendant.  They just needed to verify my address it turned out.  I was APPROVED, with 25K Membership Rewards Points, and the shipping was expedited to arrive here no later than Monday.

I am ELATED.  My message to you folks: Do not wait, apply for the card.  My experience so far with AmEx has been exception and again, I'm very grateful to all of you for the advice even if it wasn't to me directly.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Experience

@CEMoore1942 wrote:

Hello,

I would like to say that I have viewed these boards for some time now for advice and I appreciate everything.  In January, after a lifetime of never applying for a credit card, I was inspired to apply for an American Express Green Card. I am heavy on assets, but my income is not incredibly high and my scores weren't great.  I had a collection at that time for about $1K.  I was denied for the card and very disappointed.  Immediately after, I paid the collection and went on my way.

Fast forward to last week.  I apply for the American Express Gold Card thinking there is no shot in hell.  I stare at the screen as the application is processed thinking to myself "It is about to say declined."  Turns out - approved instantly.  I was stunned and very happy.  The card has still not arrived - will get here between Wednesday and the Monday after if 7 to 10 business days is accurate.  The next day, wanting to have a MasterCard also, I applied for the Capital One Cash Rewards and guess what - applications sitting on it for 7 to 10 days!  I guess I'll find out...

I got some advice from this forum and from others around the internet.  It seemed the requirements for the Gold and Platinum were not far apart.  I had planned to wait 13 months and upgrade to the Platinum when offered, but figured what the hell.  I applied for it and upon submitting the application, saw a notice that they needed to speak with me before giving me a decision.  I called the number and spoke with a very friendly attendant.  They just needed to verify my address it turned out.  I was APPROVED, with 25K Membership Rewards Points, and the shipping was expedited to arrive here no later than Monday.

I am ELATED.  My message to you folks: Do not wait, apply for the card.  My experience so far with AmEx has been exception and again, I'm very grateful to all of you for the advice even if it wasn't to me directly.

Congrats to a fresh start and nice cards

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Congrats! Very happy for you! You've finally got your foot in the door with amex. Thats an accomplishment you get to be proud of Smiley Happy

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 3 of 12
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

congratz on the success!  Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 12
CEMoore1942

Thank you all very much! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your approval and welcome to the Amex Family!
Message 6 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CEMoore1942 wrote:

Hello,

CONGRATS!!!

Welcome to the AMEX family!!!

(Is that $575 in fees?!?!?!)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 12
vladrad
Contributor

I got "selected" offer in mail today for American Express Green card. I just couldunt resist to try Smiley Happy

Then after phone call they approved me American Express Green card. Since this is charge card there is no pre-set limit.

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 8 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@vladrad wrote:

I got "selected" offer in mail today for American Express Green card. I just couldunt resist to try Smiley Happy

Then after phone call they approved me American Express Green card. Since this is charge card there is no pre-set limit.

Congrats 

You shoud start a new thread so everyone can say bravoSmiley Wink 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

Congratulations and welcome to the Amex family!!! Cat LOL

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.