FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express F/R

@Mutterz wrote:

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@Mutterz wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Wow 

I have no clue what may have triggered it then ...

As Focus and LTL said the choice is yours weather you comply or not but I'm truly sorry you had this kind of experience on your 1st Amex product 

they want to get a copy of the taxes for themselves. they would not say for sure what flagged it. i told them i would think on it but dont really need the card and i would more than likely cancel it. 

Wow, truly odd.  Did you ask if they would accept anything in lieu of taxes?  On rare occasion, I've heard of them accepting bank statements and paystubs. Not sure if you feel the same way about submitting those docs.  Whatever you decide I am sorry you had this strange and negative experience with Amex.

I will call back later and ask about the statements. But really I don't see why they think they're all high and mighty to request they get yourtaxes for them self. As if a W-2 is is not good enough. I really don't need their card and don't plan on keeping it if this is the way they treat people.  

I can certainly understand why you feel that way.  With their recent loss of business and the competition stepping up its game, you would think they would not want to annoy new or existing customers.

Message 21 of 50
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mutterz wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Wow 

As Focus and LTL said the choice is yours weather you comply or not but I'm truly sorry you had this kind of experience on your 1st Amex product 

they want to get a copy of the taxes for themselves. they would not say for sure what flagged it. i told them i would think on it but dont really need the card and i would more than likely cancel it. 

So this is a definitley an FR and yes they're process is to pull your taxes via 4506-T 

The process gives them more info than what your income is .....investment, 401K, basically your liquid assets and worth 

Some find this intrusive others simply comply and this can open door for future amounts of credit and CLI's 

Where's LTL when I need him IIRC he has been through the process maybe twice.. LTL chime in Pls 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 22 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Mutterz wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Wow 

So this is a definitley an FR and yes they're process is to pull your taxes via 4506-T 

The process gives them more info than what your income is .....investment, 401K, basically your liquid assets and worth 

Some find this intrusive others simply comply and this can open door for future amounts of credit and CLI's 

Where's LTL when I need him IIRC he has been through the process maybe twice.. LTL chime in Pls 

I haven't been through FR (they just closed my OBC without any need for documents) but currently on my third income verification via 4506-T.    This gives them a transscript of your tax return, which is a summary of your full return.  See http://www.accuverify.com/samples.html for examples, some suggest you obtain your own from the IRS so you can decide how happy or otherwise you are with others having it.

Message 23 of 50
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Mutterz wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Wow 

I haven't been through FR (they just closed my OBC without any need for documents) but currently on my third income verification via 4506-T.    This gives them a transscript of your tax return, which is a summary of your full return.  See http://www.accuverify.com/samples.html for examples, some suggest you obtain your own from the IRS so you can decide how happy or otherwise you are with others having it.

Thanks LTL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 24 of 50
red259
Super Contributor

@Mutterz wrote:

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@Mutterz wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Wow 

Wow, truly odd.  Did you ask if they would accept anything in lieu of taxes?  On rare occasion, I've heard of them accepting bank statements and paystubs. Not sure if you feel the same way about submitting those docs.  Whatever you decide I am sorry you had this strange and negative experience with Amex.

I will call back later and ask about the statements. But really I don't see why they think they're all high and mighty to request they get yourtaxes for them self. As if a W-2 is is not good enough. I really don't need their card and don't plan on keeping it if this is the way they treat people.  

I don't blame you. This is just excessive by Amex for a 3k co-branded card. If I was in that situation I would tell them to shove off. Seems completely unnecessary. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 50
toi34
Established Contributor

Just provide the requested documents and let the chips fall where they may. If they take AA, then good riddens to them! ...like you said, you have other cards with higher limits that are just as prestigious.

If after you provide the documents, you'll never have to worry about your card not going through at a restaurant or at a check-out, and if they close it, you're 'none the worse for wear.' Smiley Wink

Good Luck!

Message 26 of 50
red259
Super Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

Just provide the requested documents and let the chips fall where they may. If they take AA, then good riddens to them! ...like you said, you have other cards with higher limits that are just as prestigious.

If after you provide the documents, you'll never have to worry about your card not going through at a restaurant or at a check-out, and if they close it, you're 'none the worse for wear.' Smiley Wink

Good Luck!

OP has made clear that they do not want to do this and that the card isn't worth it tfor them to go through the FR. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 27 of 50
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@toi34 wrote:

Good Luck!

OP has made clear that they do not want to do this and that the card isn't worth it tfor them to go through the FR. 

I think it's possible to be subjected to a FR more than once.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 28 of 50
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

Good Luck!

If OP is not comfortable with it, he/she is under no obligation to honor the request.  It's a personal choice. W-2s and bank statements should be sufficient.  Do they really need to know every stock you own or which charities you donate to?

Message 29 of 50
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@toi34 wrote:

Good Luck!

I think it's possible to be subjected to a FR more than once.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct!

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.