cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express FR (THIS IS HAPPENING!)

tag
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express FR (THIS IS HAPPENING!)

Totally agree with theoldnocreditmaster. Tell Amex to GTH if you do not want the credit limit. That is what I did when I moved from India and Amex was not approving my US charges despite having perfect 3 year payment histroy with them. After cc told me that they can reject international charges I told them to close my card immediately. What is the use of zero fraud liability if Amex does not allow payment to go through.

Btw closing the card was a bad move because Amex is the only company which allows US credit card based on international credit card history.

You are the customer and if you have good FICO score then tell them you can take your business else where. In my opinion your spending is not unusual.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 11 of 68
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@theoldnocreditmaster wrote:

Sorry to hear you are going through this…..

I know this isn’t good advice since you owe them money… But they called me and tried that BS (when I had a zero balance no less) and I told them to just buzz off. They were under the impression that they rule the roost, and expected me to stop work, fish for documents, sign forms and cower to them. I told them to KMYA and go elsewhere. I was just too busy for their (we are the greatest credit card provider in the world attitude) and you need to stop what you’re doing and pay attention to us.

I would probably react the same exact way if they pulled this with me!

Message 12 of 68
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

GASP.... Yes, My partner received call this AM from Amex saying his 2 Accounts (Costco and Blue Cash Preferred) Both Personal were FROZEN!

I heard just 2 little questions he said and I ran into the room and said is that Amex?! (Can't decide if it's bad I knew without even knowing!

He didn't understand or know anything about it so when he got off the phone all he said is "What did you do!?"  LOL

The tax form came over 30 seconds later and we will fax that back in about an hour so I will keep you posted how quickly this is resolved... she said 7 days at most.

I know this will stir a thousand reasons and concerns, etc. so little history and will fill in as we go:

Costco - Opened 07/2011 with $7500.00 and currently is $18,200.00

Blue Cash Preferred - opened just over 60 days ago but on credit report - 03/2011 - $2,000.00 and is currently at $2,000.00 because the 6 month mark on Costco CLI is up in June 4th or something.

If I was to speculate that this was not random I would say it was adding me to the accounts and the huge increase in spending in the last 2.5 months since opening the Blue Card.

I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this.... I do have a question thoSmiley Embarassed

I know within the last say 4-6 months you have opened quite a few new accounts rough guess over 8 and im just guessing so please don't take offense but how many? Smiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 68
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I know this isn’t good advice since you owe them money… But they called me and tried that BS (when I had a zero balance no less) and I told them to just buzz off. They were under the impression that they rule the roost, and expected me to stop work, fish for documents, sign forms and cower to them. I told them to KMYA and go elsewhere. I was just too busy for their (we are the greatest credit card provider in the world attitude) and you need to stop what you’re doing and pay attention to us.

They did reduce my credit line for a while, but I got it back and then some. Don’t let them push you around.

If they “suspend” your account so be it as long as you don’t “need” them for future credit. If you “need them” then they are honing in on you and it won’t be pretty.  Never “rely on Amex” for anything other than a credit rating their reporting to CRA's may help you achieve. Nothing more.  I have been telling people on this board, “Do not trust Amex” if you care about your credit.  

If you made the mistake of relying on them, and have no way to transfer balances from them, then they own you right now and you have no choice except to deal with them . They seem to enjoy this type of encounter with their "Members".

Good luck…. and keep us posted.....

Your post suggests that you refused to supply the requested documentation and Amex responded by reducing your credit limits.  Perhaps that is in line with a prior practice, but by all reports, that is not in keeping with current practices.  If you elect not to supply the 4506t, they will shut down your accounts.  There are people who still think that is preferable, but it isn't a matter of telling them to shove off and getting a CLD.

Additionally, I'm not sure what having balances on the accounts has to do with it.  They'd just close the account with a balance due and you'd continue to pay it off.  I don't see how they are more in control because there is a balance owed. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 68
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

They did reduce my credit line for a while, but I got it back and then some. Don’t let them push you around.

If they “suspend” your account so be it as long as you don’t “need” them for future credit. If you “need them” then they are honing in on you and it won’t be pretty.  Never “rely on Amex” for anything other than a credit rating their reporting to CRA's may help you achieve. Nothing more.  I have been telling people on this board, “Do not trust Amex” if you care about your credit.  

If you made the mistake of relying on them, and have no way to transfer balances from them, then they own you right now and you have no choice except to deal with them . They seem to enjoy this type of encounter with their "Members".

Good luck…. and keep us posted.....

While I certainly hope this doesn't happen to me and I sympathize with the OP, I don't understand your attitude at all. American Express has given you an unsecured loan in the form of a credit card. You (or your AU) made purchases that make them question your ability to repay, so they ask for documentation. How is this is acting like they are the only lender in the universe? I mean, you've had to provide income documentation for loans before, right? Where do you get your high and mighty attitude that no lender may ask for proof of income? American Express has been pretty good to me and they have a lot of products I want, so I'd put a lot more thought into it before I told them to buzz off.

Message 15 of 68
theoldnocreditmaster
Valued Member

My post suggests what happened. They called and wanted all sorts of documentation TTT1, TTT5 KMA 5 forms (5 years) after opening my account with them. I wasn’t nice to them at all.

It was pretty straight forward, F-off,  and  don’t call me again with this BS. Just because you don’t know how to run a business, I won’t and will not ever spend my time with you while you play your internal operational games to make sure you will get paid. I have paid for everything you have authorized, on time every time. Take internal bull-crap and shovel it on to someone else. “Click”.

Message 16 of 68
theoldnocreditmaster
Valued Member

Clearly you didn't read the post Lisa. I had a zero balance with them when they called requesting documents. Second I think you're very misguided about Amex. Looks good to your friends and to to yourself in your wallet. But rest assured, they will tag you when you least expect it.

Message 17 of 68
enharu
Super Contributor

Since you are willing to send in the documents you should be fine after they review them. Best of luck!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 68
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

We don't "Rely" on Amex but I would like to keep them.
I think Amex FR makes more sense for the charge card because its common for people to have 10x+ many times in available charging ability compared to their highest credit card credit limit but we don't have charge cards.
So far it is VERY simple.... Phone call was less than 5 minutes, 1 form with name and account number and contact phone, and 1 form with arrows next to what they need, tax year, name, social, address from taxes, what kind filed and if joint that info, if not that's it and signed and fax in.... Done.
I think the only reason people get in such a tiff is because if we didn't log in or missed call or if this was big business card the day was already underway and charging had been halted without knowledge, basically no credit cards open cards, sometimes for years before deciding hey we want more info... Freeze!
Credit unions sometimes but that's before opening. I still think as a company whole the percentage of accounts FR vs opened and never is TINY... It just might be a little more inconvenient or unconventional compared to other banks to do this after opening.... Otherwise no biggie!
Might have couple different thoughts if this comes out bad but! Lol

And to other poster and new accounts:
Chase
Discover
Bank of America personal and 2 Inq for biz which I'm not sure status (lost it seems)
American Express
Macy's and Macy's American Express
Navy NavVgeck
Wells Fargo business
Citi personal and business
Car lease
Barclay business

Think that's all?! So a number of INQ and I would say 9 or so new accounts that show on credit and another 3-4 not on credit.

And we are moving now!
Message 19 of 68
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Hope everything goes well CA!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.