Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express FR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express FR

Hi everyone,

I am an 18 year old college student (and a longtime lurker of these forums) who just passed 6 months of credit history at the beginning of this month. I currently have a Chase Freedom with a $500 limit and a Citi Forward with an $800 limit. I recently applied for the American Express Green (I was hoping to apply for the lower-AF, easier-to-get Zync, but the online application told me that the card has been discontinued). After watching the wheel spin for ~45 seconds, I was instantly approved with NPSL. Fast forward a week later, and I recieve an email from American Express:

Dear **********,
We were unsuccessful in contacting you today concerning your American Express account(s). In reviewing your account(s) it has been determined there are financial documents that you would need to furnish in order for us to complete our review. It is important you contact us within 7 business days to discuss the documents that are needed.

Please be advised there is currently a restriction placed on your account(s) and no further charges will be allowed until this matter is resolved. Also, failure to contact us could result in your account(s) being permanently cancelled.

We look forward to continuing our relationship and providing the services necessary for your continued success.

Sincerely,
American Express Account Service

I have not yet activated my card (I didn't recieve it until after I got this email). Since I was under the age of 18 last year, I do not have any 2011 tax returns (which is what I'm guessing they want from me). What should I do?

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express FR

Contact them, and find out what it is they are wanting.  And hope for the best.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 2 of 87
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

What income did you state on the application? I take it you weren't employed part time during the age of 15-17? What income do you have now? Last but not least the income you stated on the app, does it match your current income your able to prove?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 87
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Did you put down your ACTUAL income? What you actually make a year?

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stated the scholarships I recieved (I earned a full ride to the public university I attend) + what I expect to make from my on-campus job by the end of this year.

Message 5 of 87
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I stated the scholarships I recieved (I earned a full ride to the public university I attend) + what I expect to make from my on-campus job by the end of this year.

Then provide proof of the scholarship and a recent paystub.. IF that will suffice for them.. however, im not so sure the scholarship info is going to work..

Message 6 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright. If it doesn't suffice for them, will by credit report list the AMEX account as "account closed by credit grantor"? Currently, no Amex tradelines show up on my credit report. I'm just trying to figure out if I should close the account now vs taking the chance that they might close it.

Message 7 of 87
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I am no expert but I do not know if you can count the scholarship if it only pays for your tuition. I know if it gives you more than just for tuition you can put it, but otherwise it is not really income, since the money can not be used to pay the card off. Money you expect to make is not guaranteed and they want to see actual evidence of some form of income. As someone else stated, the best thing to do is contact them and see what kind of documents they would accept.

Message 8 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

The scholarship was for tuition, room, board, books, and a small amount for personal expenses.

Also, if they do close the account, will I lose 2012 backdating, since the card was never activated?

Message 9 of 87
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The scholarship was for tuition, room, board, books, and a small amount for personal expenses.

Also, if they do close the account, will I lose 2012 backdating, since the card was never activated?

You were approved and then they pulled the FR so it will most likely show up on your report as card closed by credit grantor if they dont accept your income.

Message 10 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.