Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express FR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express FR

Just got off the phone with a nice gentleman from the American Express Financial Review Department. He asked me to verify my income amounts and sources. I was completely honest with him and told him that most of the income I reported comes from scholarships, rather than employment. He didn't bat an eye and seemed rather surprised that I am employed at all while in school. He said American Express usually verifies income through tax returns and asked if I had a 2011 tax return. I told him I didn't, since last year I was a minor with no job. He said that's alright, and, given the circumstances, the FR dept would be willing to take 6 months of bank statements instead. Will submit the statements later today and let you know the results.

Message 71 of 87
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

It's not like my mom doesn't know that. I think I'm doing pretty well for my age... Ive never missed a credit card payment and take my finances very seriously. Every CSR I speak with when apping often asks me if I'd like to do hhi...
My mother and I would be willing to supply tax returns if I were to be FR'ed.
Afaik, it is up to you, the applicant, to decide what income you can use- personal or hhi. Of course, a creditor had their own standards of usable income as well.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 72 of 87
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Sounds good for you...:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 73 of 87
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
It's not like my mom doesn't know that. I think I'm doing pretty well for my age... Ive never missed a credit card payment and take my finances very seriously. Every CSR I speak with when apping often asks me if I'd like to do hhi...
Afaik, it is up to you, the applicant, to decide what income you can use- personal or hhi. Of course, a creditor had their own standards of usable income as well.

if you dont mind telling me what banks CSR has ask tell if you could do hhi?

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 74 of 87
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I prefer not to disclose that info., but it's worth noting that the CARD Act prohibits creditors from explicitly asking hhi; it does not prohibit applicants from using hhi. Check the paragraph of Section 226.51(a).

It was more or less, the bank telling me that it was up to me, which seems lawful given that section of the CARD Act.
Message 75 of 87
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I prefer not to disclose that info., but it's worth noting that the CARD Act prohibits creditors from explicitly asking hhi; it does not prohibit applicants from using hhi. Check the paragraph of Section 226.51(a).

It was more or less, the bank telling me that it was up to me, which seems lawful given that section of the CARD Act.

CFPB has the regulatory responsibility of defining income and assets re the CARD act. They have not yet finalized the reg. but all of the proposals exclude HHI outside of spouses over 21.  Looks like the CSR is skating on thin ice if they suggest anyone use hhi.

http://counterriskgroup.com/nbbulletin/proposed-changes-to-reg-z-on-household-income-rules/

The Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (CFPB) has issued a proposed rule to amend Regulation Z to permit lenders to consider “household income” for credit card applicants who are not able to satisfy the requirement that they “independently” have the ability to repay. The applicant must be 21 or older and have a reasonable expectation of access to the household income. The proposed changes are primarily directed towards non-working spouses and partners who are being disenfranchised under the current Regulation Z requirements.

The proposed rule would also amend the Official Staff Commentary to Regulation Z to provide examples that demonstrate when household income would be permissible to consider and when it would not be permissible to consider as a source of repayment for a credit card.

Credit card applicants under the age of 21 would still need to either provide financial information that substantiates their independent ability to repay or provide a cosigner, guarantor or joint applicant who has the requisite ability to repay.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 76 of 87
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I know AMEX asks for personal income when doing a  FR. 

Message 77 of 87
FrugalRican
Blogger

Every CSR I speak with when apping often asks me if I'd like to do hhi...

Every?

Every single one? Maybe it's semantics, hyperbole, or maybe I bat my eyes at absolutes.

I'm not so sure about that. And if they are, they are idiots looking for the referral.

I'd never put myself in a position to "bloat" my numbers just for a credit card or any other financial product.

If it's just you on that card/product and they FR you and ask solely for your returns, then what? HHI makes sense if you're applying as MFJ, which, I hope to heaven is not what you are doing with your mother.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 78 of 87
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, thanks for the info. I'll def'ly consider that in the future when I am applying for credit :-)
Message 79 of 87
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

They're not going to want nor care about your moms tax returns if you FRd...  you're moms tax returns or income are pretty irrevelent unless it's a joint account.

I wish it worked that way, both my parents make over 500k a year, if i could use their income i'm sure i would get some crazy limits

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 80 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.