Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Financial Review

tag
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

American Express Financial Review

Back in 2008 I was F\R'd so I closed my accounts right away but recently I got 2 letters saying I was pre selected for the amex green card so I applied and I got a letter that states they want to confirm my address so ill need a letter from my bank confirming it so I did that now I am curious if they will ask for tax returns after this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Financial Review

They probably wont ask you for taxes right now, but with AMEX you can't assume that you won't be F/Red in the future.

Message 2 of 10
smc733
Valued Contributor

No, when I applied the same letter asked for both verification of address and 4506, so you should be in the clear.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 10
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

so you dont think they will request a 4506?

Message 4 of 10
smc733
Valued Contributor

Doubtful, at least at this point.  Wouldn't be surprised if they ask for it soon after opening the account, though.  Some people have been F/Red after putting their first charge on the card.

Which begs the question, is this card worth it to you?  A company that keeps such a heavy eye on its users, is very likely to F/R you again if you've been in the past.  Hell, some people have had it happen 4 times in one year!  Smiley Surprised

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 10
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

wow thats insane, i do not have the card i just went to my bank and requested the letter and mailed it to amex today, but i sure do miss my amex i hope i dont get f\r'd

Message 6 of 10
JMN
Frequent Contributor

I was F/Red within three days of activating the card. I let them pull my taxes, they were happy, and the card has been perfect ever since.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 7 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I'm not sure what the big concern over being FRd is. As long as you provided them accurate income numbers, then the FR can't hurt, and can only help.

After I was FRd in 2007 on my Platinum Delta card, they increased my limit from 6k to 10k without even my request.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
smc733
Valued Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

I'm not sure what the big concern over being FRd is. As long as you provided them accurate income numbers, then the FR can't hurt, and can only help.

After I was FRd in 2007 on my Platinum Delta card, they increased my limit from 6k to 10k without even my request.

Its the:

1.  Inconvenience (Of sending the paperwork in)

2.  Some people's income changed for the worse and didn't account for it immediately

3.  The fact that they suspend your accounts while doing it, and some get declined at the register

and...

4.  The fact that people whom have never done anything remotely wrong on their account, yet get F/Red because of charge profiling

To me, this is a subprime tactic, and shouldn't be pulled by a company that prides itself on "outstanding customer service"

Message 9 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I understand that it is a hassle, and I'm not saying that it is a fun process, but I got the notice of FR - sent them the forms they needed the next day, and my account was available for use within 24 hours of them receiving my information. CLI came about 2 weeks later.

If more lenders would actually verify that your income is what you say it is, the bubble may not have burst as hard as it did. Companies were granting $10k+ credit limits to students and low income individuals who could never repay the debt they ran up.

My only wish is that they would do the income verification at the very beginning when you open your card and only review the subject if your account is becoming a concern.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.