cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold Card is Crap!!!

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Gold Card is Crap!!!

I'm still patiently waiting on tips for a career change.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 141 of 152
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Jstic wrote:

I am leary of this thread also as far as credibility.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how credibility is an issue in this thread. If we believe the OP, then an 18 yo kid with a job and a new business applied for multiple amex cards on the same day, got the first one and immediately called amex to tell them he intended to charge 75k/month on the card and could that card "handle it". Amex suspended his card for a financial review and he reacted by posting a message on this forum with the title, "American Express Gold Card is Crap". Hilarity ensued, he passed his fr and life went on.

In scenario 2, OP is lying about his income, but is still an 18 yo kid with a job and a new business who applied for multiple amex cards on the same day, got the first one and immediately called amex to tell them he intended to charge 75k/month on the card and could that card "handle it". Amex suspended his card for a financial review and he reacted by posting a message on this forum with the title, "American Express Gold Card is Crap". Hilarity ensued, he passed his fr and life went on.

In scenario 3, OP made the whole thing up.

In all 3 scenarios, the lesson is the same: don't do that. Trying to sleuth out whether his story is true or not impacts neither the lesson, nor the hilarity of the thread. It just comes across as resentment at the possibility that an impulsive kid with syntax issues might be out-earning some of the older, wiser members of the community. I'm sure that's not what you intend, but that's what is coming across. Maybe its time to let this one go...

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 142 of 152
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Jstic wrote:

What AMEX would be more interested in, IMHO is assets. Without some type of collateral, it would be difficult for any bank to extend this type of credit line, let alone a CC company. The thing that makes me the most suspicious about the thread are the reported FICO scores. At 18 years old I think it would be almost impossible to score 785 with any of the 3 bureaus. I could be wrong about this, but there is a good part of the score that is based on length of credit history. Given that, it seems like 785 would be almost out of reach for an 18 year old. Remember, we are currently in an environment of very strict lending standards, at any level.

Just wanted to point out that my 18-year-old daughter has an EQ FICO of 786. We signed her up for ScoreWatch shortly after she turned 18. The AAoA and length of credit history can be easily manipulated because she is an AU on many of our cards. Her credit history is about as old as she is. We also got her a student VISA from PenFed (cosigned by her dad), and she now has a school loan...so she has an installment account and revolving credit in her own name, plus the AU accounts.

All that said, I have a healthy amount of skepticism about the OPs situation as well....but not necessarily based on the FICO score. I don't think it's a bad or unsupportive situation to be skeptical.

Message 143 of 152
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@Jstic wrote:

I am leary of this thread also as far as credibility.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how credibility is an issue in this thread. If we believe the OP, then an 18 yo kid with a job and a new business applied for multiple amex cards on the same day, got the first one and immediately called amex to tell them he intended to charge 75k/month on the card and could that card "handle it". Amex suspended his card for a financial review and he reacted by posting a message on this forum with the title, "American Express Gold Card is Crap". Hilarity ensued, he passed his fr and life went on.

In scenario 2, OP is lying about his income, but is still an 18 yo kid with a job and a new business who applied for multiple amex cards on the same day, got the first one and immediately called amex to tell them he intended to charge 75k/month on the card and could that card "handle it". Amex suspended his card for a financial review and he reacted by posting a message on this forum with the title, "American Express Gold Card is Crap". Hilarity ensued, he passed his fr and life went on.

In scenario 3, OP made the whole thing up.

In all 3 scenarios, the lesson is the same: don't do that. Trying to sleuth out whether his story is true or not impacts neither the lesson, nor the hilarity of the thread. It just comes across as resentment at the possibility that an impulsive kid with syntax issues might be out-earning some of the older, wiser members of the community. I'm sure that's not what you intend, but that's what is coming across. Maybe its time to let this one go...

I like what you did there....

Message 144 of 152
android01
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Ha!  Smiley Very Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 145 of 152
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Ha!  Smiley Very Happy

I never joke about money. Smiley Happy

Still waiting for him to drop some knowledge. My low paying job has gotten old.

Message 146 of 152
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

I said I work full time and own my own business so I work full time somewhere else that's how I have paycheck stubs.
Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 147 of 152
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Yes im a AU on 2 cards.
Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 148 of 152
drkaje
Senior Contributor

It seems as if we're glossing over the important issue.

Just sayin'.

Message 149 of 152
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Ha!  Smiley Very Happy

I never joke about money. Smiley Happy

Still waiting for him to drop some knowledge. My low paying job has gotten old.

Mobile advertisement/entertainment is the future Smiley Happy. Or you can always go back to school.....

Message 150 of 152
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.