cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold Card is Crap!!!

tag
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Gold Card is Crap!!!

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Reporting bias: nobody ever posts to the forum, "I didn't get reviewed today". People only tend to report the unusual, so reviewing these forums make the unusual seem usual. To the OP: thanks for making my day! I watch people on this forum tip toeing around AMEX like Bilbo trying to sneak around Smaug. People afraid to push a button that says if a purchase is likely to be approved, etc. But you just layed right into them, didn't you? Just walked right up to the desk sergeant and asked where they kept the guns and drugs...Awesome.

I, for one, did not get reviewed today.  And, American Express has all but assured me that I will not get f/r for at LEAST the next 5.5 years.  Woohoo! Smiley Frustrated

Oh, I should note, I have not been reviewed by Amex in the last 19 years either.  Smiley Very Happy  

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 41 of 152
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

my income is $356k because i work full time and own a business so im real busy and i told them i was gonna spend 75k or more a month and i asked if my card could handle it and they said they want to do income verification. or FR

Did they ask you how much you were going to spend on the card or did you provide this info. to them willingly?

I provided it willingly.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 42 of 152
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

my income is $356k because i work full time and own a business so im real busy and i told them i was gonna spend 75k or more a month and i asked if my card could handle it and they said they want to do income verification. or FR

Did they ask you how much you were going to spend on the card or did you provide this info. to them willingly?

I provided it willingly.

No offense but why would you do that??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 43 of 152
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking me, what is your job description? I wish I can own a business Smiley Sad.

Took over a manufacturing business.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 44 of 152
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

I'd never even heard of FRs before delving into the on-line credit community. I had an Amex card from '96 until 2004 and never once even heard about FRs. Have also been ACM on DGF's Delta Amex 4+ years with no FR.

Perhaps credit based forums have such a different demographic that FRs seem more typical. Smiley Happy

Reporting bias: nobody ever posts to the forum, "I didn't get reviewed today". People only tend to report the unusual, so reviewing these forums make the unusual seem usual. To the OP: thanks for making my day! I watch people on this forum tip toeing around AMEX like Bilbo trying to sneak around Smaug. People afraid to push a button that says if a purchase is likely to be approved, etc. But you just layed right into them, didn't you? Just walked right up to the desk sergeant and asked where they kept the guns and drugs...Awesome.

Now, you wouldn't be talking about me, would you? Smiley Wink

Love the Hobbit reference!!! Smiley LOL

(BTW... didn't get reviewed today)

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 45 of 152
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

You shouldn't have told them to spend a lot of money on the card.  I spent under $200 in the first month when I got my Gold Card. By the way, they also suspended your Green already. You won't able to use it when you get it.

Ron. 

I got that today to and i already new but when i talked to the FR department they said i was on there work list anyways they would have called me tomorrow..

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 46 of 152
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

I provided it willingly.

No offense but why would you do that??

Well i used it to fly back and forth to japan but i mean im submiting the stuff they want and he said the review is pretty quick.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 47 of 152
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

i havent recieved my Green Card yet and as soon as i activated my Gold Card i told them i was gonna spend alot on my card and thats what triggered it. after i send documents how long does review take?

seems like a major mistake when i got my zync i just used it, charged dinner out with the wife, added the connect pack, then charged my $350 cellphone bill, i know but i have 5 phones on my plan and had issues at work and went 400 minutes over my plan,  and next day paid in full, didn't wait a month, just paid in full, waited a week paid my cable bill, $110,  paid in full before the payment even posted to the account, didn't wait just did it, want to show that I used the card and can pay. Will wait at least till i get my first statement before I try letting a balance stay even a week on the card.  

Remember you are trying to build a relationship with a conservative company, not trying to impress some people that you are rich and have money to burn, And  people that do try to impress people with there spending   are usually the ones that are soon parted with there money and burn the creditor and freidns in the process.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 48 of 152
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

i havent recieved my Green Card yet and as soon as i activated my Gold Card i told them i was gonna spend alot on my card and thats what triggered it. after i send documents how long does review take?

seems like a major mistake when i got my zync i just used it, charged dinner out with the wife, added the connect pack, then charged my $350 cellphone bill, i know but i have 5 phones on my plan and had issues at work and went 400 minutes over my plan,  and next day paid in full, didn't wait a month, just paid in full, waited a week paid my cable bill, $110,  paid in full before the payment even posted to the account, didn't wait just did it, want to show that I used the card and can pay. Will wait at least till i get my first statement before I try letting a balance stay even a week on the card.  

Remember you are trying to build a relationship with a conservative company, not trying to impress some people that you are rich and have money to burn, And  people that do try to impress people with there spending   are usually the ones that are soon parted with there money and burn the creditor and freidns in the process.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 49 of 152
dnice77
Regular Contributor

im my opinion your a new holder with no histore have you tell them your going to charge 1/5 your income monthly i would be leary as well.

if you have a buisness maybe a buisness card would have had a higher threshold.

a FR for that situation seems fully justified

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 50 of 152
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.