Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Gold Card

Hi there,

I am looking to apply for the Amex Gold Charge card and I am wondering what the requirements may be in terms of score. I have a score of 730 but a credit file that has only been open for a year. I meet the income requirements but I am afraid of denial due to my length of credit history. Should I call a CSR to bypass the online application. I don't want a hard inquiry on my report that ends up being useless.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
johnosonc
Valued Member

Re: American Express Gold Card

I applied for this card and they pulled EX only.  I was denied with a 692 lender pulled EX score a few weeks ago.  AMEX generally likes to see a good two-year history, but it can't hurt to call and ask.   Call new accounts and discuss it.  They will do a hard pull though, and soft pulls each month thereafter.

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 670
Goal ScoreSmiley Embarassed 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
tray
Valued Contributor

Have you tried American Express pre-select site for any approval of their cards, it is a soft pull, if any offers appear and you apply it is then it is a hard pull.  I went on the pre-select site in October, 2009 offer came up for a green or gold card applied for the green and was approved hard pull.  My foot was in the door then one month later upgraded to the gold card and this month now have the premier gold card, and to add I a couple of baddies on my ex report when I first applied.  So good luck if you go for it, you just never know.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 12
johnosonc
Valued Member

Yea if preselect doesn't give you any options, don't apply.  

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 670
Goal ScoreSmiley Embarassed 700

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could use Preselect, I live in Canada. Is there anyway to do this the "Canadian Way"
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't know how that works. For one thing, your Canadian credit history doesn't apply in the US. If you were to move here, you'd be starting from scratch with credit. Smiley Tongue

I'd call American Express and ask about Canadian applications. Do they have a phone number specifically for Canadian applicants?

Your Canadian FICO scores don't necessarily match US FICO scores, so it's not a very useful guide.

All this being said, FICO scores aren't that big a deal with American Express. They have their own internal scoring system. Yes, if your FICO's are awful, you probably won't qualify, and if they're great, you probably will. But more important is what's in your credit file --any late payments, carrying high balances, previous problems with AmEx, and so forth.

Your thin file might make things a bit shaky, but the charge cards, like the Gold card, are easier to get. There's less risk to AmEx, because they can control how much you charge on it per month, thus limiting their liability.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
danisgods
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

I am looking to apply for the Amex Gold Charge card and I am wondering what the requirements may be in terms of score. I have a score of 730 but a credit file that has only been open for a year. I meet the income requirements but I am afraid of denial due to my length of credit history. Should I call a CSR to bypass the online application. I don't want a hard inquiry on my report that ends up being useless.

whats the required income for the Amex Gold? where is your source from?

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Message 7 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Amex uses different criterias to approve the cards. My suggestion apply and see what they.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved for the Delta Gold credit card with only a year and a half history.  730 FICO at the time.  With only a year history you WILL get approved for the Gold Preferred Charge Card. Its not that hard to get.  Let us know how it goes.

Message 9 of 12
danisgods
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

you can also try going to the pre-selected website and give it a shot, it is a soft pull, but if they pre- select you it means you have a60% chance of getting it(since its a soft pull, we can not assume you are going to get approved.)

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.