Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Green Card or BCE

tag
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express Green Card or BCE

Credit Karma has some interesting data regarding average Credit Scores needed to obtain both the Amex Green and the BCE cards:

Amex Card          Sample Size (cardholders)     Average Credit Score Range      % Above 700 Credit Score

Green                            1560                                             ca. 693 - 699                                         51 %

BCE                               2402                                             ca. 735 - 739                                         84 %

From this data it appears that the average credit score requirements are significantly higher for the Amex BCE card

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 11 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Transmogrifying_Bee wrote:

Credit Karma has some interesting data regarding average Credit Scores needed to obtain both the Amex Green and the BCE cards:

Amex Card          Sample Size (cardholders)     Average Credit Score Range      % Above 700 Credit Score

Green                            1560                                             ca. 693 - 699                                         51 %

BCE                               2402                                             ca. 735 - 739                                         84 %

From this data it appears that the average credit score requirements are significantly higher for the Amex BCE card

I would agree. Revolvers would require a higher CS. 

Message 12 of 19
budugu
Regular Contributor

yes also amex is very enquiry sensitive. i got rejected for starwood last year will a score of 725 with an active plat /zync / corp green.

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 13 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

I agree that you should wait on the app. Amex is not an easy lender to get a card with. Charge cards are easier to get than revolvers. When it is time to apply I would look at at all the charge cards and pick the one that fits you best. IMO the green card isn't that great , especially if your only getting a charge card to get your foot in the door and may not keep it beyond the first year. The AF on the PRG is waived first year as well. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 19
39Xelor
Established Member

My opinion, there are far better cards out there than Amex! I say Garden, let your scores grow and shoot for something better! But again, that’s just my opinion.. I get the whole "it’s an AMEX card!" attitude though! I just think you could eventually do better than Amex Smiley Happy

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 15 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

My opinion, their are far better cards out there than Amex! I say Garden, let your scores grow and shoot for something better! But again, that’s just my opinion.. I get the whole "it’s an AMEX card!" attitude though! I just think you could eventually do better than Amex Smiley Happy

I would agree.  But it's something about that intimidating Trojan Soldier Guy w/ the coolest hat that is appealing...well at least to me lol 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 16 of 19
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Only really good reason for an Amex card is back dating. On than that as stated there are better.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 17 of 19
39Xelor
Established Member

@yudeology101 wrote:

@39Xelor wrote:

My opinion, their are far better cards out there than Amex! I say Garden, let your scores grow and shoot for something better! But again, that’s just my opinion.. I get the whole "it’s an AMEX card!" attitude though! I just think you could eventually do better than Amex Smiley Happy

I would agree.  But it's something about that intimidating Trojan Soldier Guy w/ the coolest hat that is appealing...well at least to me lol 

Also agreed haha... Amex does have some nice card designs.. When I first saw the Costco Amex design I was like  hahaha..

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 18 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@39Xelor wrote:

Also agreed haha... Amex does have some nice card designs.. When I first saw the Costco Amex design I was like  hahaha..

LOL  That pic is CLASSIC!  You should've seen my mouth when i was approved for my first AMEX (Green), my mouth stretched down 10x lower than Jim Carey's lol

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.