Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Hilton

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

American Express Hilton

Is this an easy card to get? I was looking for a good hotel cards as I have Cash back cards and points. Wanted something different.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Hilton

Define easy.
Message 2 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if it's harder than something like Delta Gold or not, but I have the Surpass version since January 2014 and was only approved for $2k limit.  Lots of new accts/inqs on EX at the time.  I have mixed feelings about Hilton Hotels (service recovery is lacking, not as professional as Hyatt or Wyndham Westin, but the always acknowledge my Gold status).   I noticed you have it in your profile already though?  I think SPG is a better alternative mostly for it's flexibility, but it all depends on your brand loyalty and frequency.

ETA:  I meant to say Westin/SPG but Wyndham came out!

Message 3 of 10
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I don't know if it's harder than something like Delta Gold or not, but I have the Surpass version since January 2014 and was only approved for $2k limit.  Lots of new accts/inqs on EX at the time.  I have mixed feelings about Hilton Hotels (service recovery is lacking, not as professional as Hyatt or Wyndham, but the always acknowledge my Gold status).   I noticed you have it in your profile already though?  I think SPG is a better alternative mostly for it's flexibility, but it all depends on your brand loyalty and frequency.

I just had my last stay at a Wyndham, told me a 16:00 check in and they will call me never got a call at 19:00 and still nothing ready. They acted like it was no big deal I had to wait and no I'm sorry for the wait. It's happen for the last time.

Message 4 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@corymcd88 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I don't know if it's harder than something like Delta Gold or not, but I have the Surpass version since January 2014 and was only approved for $2k limit.  Lots of new accts/inqs on EX at the time.  I have mixed feelings about Hilton Hotels (service recovery is lacking, not as professional as Hyatt or Wyndham, but the always acknowledge my Gold status).   I noticed you have it in your profile already though?  I think SPG is a better alternative mostly for it's flexibility, but it all depends on your brand loyalty and frequency.

I just had my last stay at a Wyndham, told me a 16:00 check in and they will call me never got a call at 19:00 and still nothing ready. They acted like it was no big deal I had to wait and no I'm sorry for the wait. It's happen for the last time.

I guess I'm not understanding if you already have the card or are looking to apply for Amex Hilton or are looking to have both versions?

Message 5 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

Is this an easy card to get? I was looking for a good hotel cards as I have Cash back cards and points. Wanted something different.

not overly hard I have the surpass version, and spent 200+ nights in a Hilton Hotel last year so I now have diamond status till the end of 2015, how they treat rewards members varies from property to property and even among the staff, once the Manger/Asst. manager noticed me, it was nice, I could get early check-ins and could basicly call them when I was ready to checkout each week but until then it was always crap shoot how much hassle i get to my simple requests. 

Hunt for the best sign up offers, ask google a little work can net you 40k pts from AMEX and Don't neglect to sign up for a Citi Hilton card, they have a $0 AF version that gives you enough points for a  couple nigths at a medium level property. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I don't think the partner cards are that hard to get with Amex.  I think thier upper tier and higher annual fee cards are the more difficult ones. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 10
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

not overly hard I have the surpass version, and spent 200+ nights in a Hilton Hotel last year so I now have diamond status till the end of 2015, how they treat rewards members varies from property to property and even among the staff, once the Manger/Asst. manager noticed me, it was nice, I could get early check-ins and could basicly call them when I was ready to checkout each week but until then it was always crap shoot how much hassle i get to my simple requests. 

Hunt for the best sign up offers, ask google a little work can net you 40k pts from AMEX and Don't neglect to sign up for a Citi Hilton card, they have a $0 AF version that gives you enough points for a  couple nigths at a medium level property. 

This.

Citi is offering 60,000 points as opposed to Amex 40,000 points. If i had another chance at it, i would have went with Citi instead of Amex.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 8 of 10
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

hilton points have been significantly devalued over the last several years, so I wouldn't focus on points. If you are going to be staying at hilton hotels, but not enough to qualify for gold or diamond purely on stays, there is a real advantage to a card that can help you achieve gold or diamond. Personally, after I'd burned off my hilton points last year I switched to hyatt. But if I were staying with hilton, I'd look at the citi reserve for the automatic gold status. I travel on a fairly small per diem budget for work, so the free breakfast saved me quite a bit. I also routinely got upgraded as a hhonors gold, whereas hyatt platinum rarely happens. At hawaiian village, we got bumped up from a garden level, garden view ADA room to a high floor, corner, ocean view room just for being gold. I also got some sort of upgrade every time I stayed at a hilton. In comparison, I get upgraded about one in four at hyatts (I was initially diamond, where I got bumped up routinely, but figured anyone qualifying for top tier is in a different discussion).

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 9 of 10
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Amex HHonors Surpass also gives instant Gold Status (75 AF).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.