cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

New Contributor

American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

Hey guys I have a question. On 4/22/2011 (last month) I applied for a Zync card and got approved right away. I got  an alert from my credit score stating that Amex had pulled a hard inquiry in my profile which was fine with me.

 

However when I pulled my report with all the detailed transactions 2 days ago, I noticed that American Express pulled a hard inquiry on all  three credit bureaus. This caused my score to drop alot of points Smiley Sad

Is this a normal procedure for American Express credit cards? This is my first AMEX product so im not sure how the inquiries work.

■■■Experian - ■■■ Equifax - ■■■ TransUnion -■■■Goal: Score of 720 Across All three
Blackhawks Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

I've read in the past where AMEX would pull the other two CRA if they weren't thrilled with what they saw on EX..... BTW congrats on the approval!!


Starting Score: EX: 500 FAKO -TU: 497- EQ: 529 12/9/2010
Current Score:
EX: 560 TU: 550-EQ: 569 5/14/15
Goal Score:
700 across the board


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

Only pulled EX for my Zync. I thought Cap 1 was the only one that did pulls on all three reports, which is pretty pointless since they only give on average a $500 limit anyway. Lol.

Message 3 of 8
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

I just got approved for green and they only pulled EX.


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 8
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)


mrmagic9799 wrote:

I've read in the past where AMEX would pull the other two CRA if they weren't thrilled with what they saw on EX..... BTW congrats on the approval!!


Exactly this.  If they can go either way on you based on EX, they will pull the other two.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 8
New Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

Oh well. I cant do much about it. This was a couple weeks ago but I just recently noticed the three pulls. I guess im ok with it in a way, I mean im still in college with a Discover, Amex Zync and a Fith Third Bank Card. I guess it will help me in the future after I graduate. 

■■■Experian - ■■■ Equifax - ■■■ TransUnion -■■■Goal: Score of 720 Across All three
Blackhawks Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 6 of 8
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)


josh68684 wrote:

Hey guys I have a question. On 4/22/2011 (last month) I applied for a Zync card and got approved right away. I got  an alert from my credit score stating that Amex had pulled a hard inquiry in my profile which was fine with me.

 

However when I pulled my report with all the detailed transactions 2 days ago, I noticed that American Express pulled a hard inquiry on all  three credit bureaus. This caused my score to drop alot of points Smiley Sad

Is this a normal procedure for American Express credit cards? This is my first AMEX product so im not sure how the inquiries work.


I think that one pull on each bureau would only affect each bureau as seeing one inquiry, if that makes sense. For example, if they pull EQ, then EQ sees 1 inquiry and the other two see nothing. If they pull TU, then TU sees that inquiry and EQ/EX don't see the inq on TU.  So if my thinking is correct, 1 pull for each would only affect that bureau and it wouldn't be seen as 3 inqs on each.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)


MS00000000 wrote:

josh68684 wrote:

Hey guys I have a question. On 4/22/2011 (last month) I applied for a Zync card and got approved right away. I got  an alert from my credit score stating that Amex had pulled a hard inquiry in my profile which was fine with me.

 

However when I pulled my report with all the detailed transactions 2 days ago, I noticed that American Express pulled a hard inquiry on all  three credit bureaus. This caused my score to drop alot of points Smiley Sad

Is this a normal procedure for American Express credit cards? This is my first AMEX product so im not sure how the inquiries work.


I think that one pull on each bureau would only affect each bureau as seeing one inquiry, if that makes sense. For example, if they pull EQ, then EQ sees 1 inquiry and the other two see nothing. If they pull TU, then TU sees that inquiry and EQ/EX don't see the inq on TU.  So if my thinking is correct, 1 pull for each would only affect that bureau and it wouldn't be seen as 3 inqs on each.


+1.  With the assumption this is your first AMEX, the significant score decrease indicated was likely due to the change in your AAoA, and not the inquiry.


Starting Score: Eq: 662 Tu: 532 (03/02/2011) CH7BK 01/12/2009 Discharge
Current Score: Eq: 712 (02/03/2017) Tu: 717 (04/03/2013)
Goal Score: Eq: 760 Tu: 760

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 25k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | LFCU Visa 10k
Message 8 of 8