Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Issues

tag
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

American Express Issues

So, I got approved for an SPG back on 11/4 and since I've gotten the card, I've run all my transactions through it. Well about 30 minutes ago, I run my card at Walmart (trying to take advantage of early black Friday deals) and get denied. I'm nowhere near being maxed, so I call up AMEX and the CSR said they have identity concerns and that they need to contact a financial institution that I'm affiliated with to get some information. They also said I needed to call back in the morning so they can verify everything. 

Have you guys ever heard of such a thing? This is extremely frustrating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Issues

Hopefully it is just identity verification, not FR.

Message 2 of 23
clownfico
Valued Member

I experienced something similar. It's rather normal and happens when you're a new member and charge more than a $100. I was left with the impression AMEX just wants to track your charging patterns (computer-guided). Chase Sapphire does something similar.  It usually involves a conference call between the cardholder, AMEX, and your bank. Just make sure your bank has the same information that you provided AMEX!  Usually you're muted and the verification takes place between AMEX and your bank. 

Message 3 of 23
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Yes, the same happened to my after an online purchase, soon after I activated my Zync. They do a three way call with your bank to confirm your identity. If your bank is open, you should be able to do it right away. I did it on a Saturday late night with my credit union.

After that no more issues with American Express. Only love from them.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 4 of 23
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

yes! its half the reason i cancelled crap1 - they had to verify everything MULTIPLE times! would not allow me to make payments, until they contacted my banks to verify i owned the accounts...MAKE payments...nuts
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd be careful using Amex at Walmart anyway lol In fact, I do not use Amex at Walmart.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'd be careful using Amex at Walmart anyway lol In fact, I do not use Amex at Walmart.

Hey All! Smiley Happy   I don't agree with this at all ^^^^^. There is no reason at all to not use your Amex at any big box store.  In fact- Walmart currently has a contract with Amex to market one of their newest products- "BlueBird".  Just an FYI- I use my Amex products anywhere I go and for everything including a pack of gum.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 23
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

Yeah I don't agree with it either. I put any and everything on that card. As long as they are getting PIF'd each month for considerable amounts, they should be good.

Thanks to all who responded I will give them a call in a few hours to try to get this situated once and for all. I will update.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 8 of 23
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Amex could not care any less where you use their card, where their card is accepted.

100% Fact.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Repo-ed wrote:

Amex could not care any less where you use their card, where their card is accepted.

100% Fact.

Not that we could really ever find out, but I would bet against that, not that I let it change my behaviors in the slightest.

Amex at one point, and likely still, absolutely cares about it's prestiege... and it is very, very easy to build an accurate profile when looking at the individual transactions.  So easy I'd be stunned and amazed if they haven't done something similar in the past decade.  

I know if I were Amex or any other lender (Chase in particular) I'd absolutely look at such things and there may be simple correlations vis a vis people who drive a Mercedes are less likely to flake on a credit card payment than people who drive a BMW, and I'm pretty confident that'd be entirely legal to make a decision off of too... and AFAIK lenders can get to this level of detail with the information that is collected from the merchants.  

So if they're likely looking at that level for various reasons, why would they not take the extra step to reinforce their core marketing scheme?  There are some products (Centurion) which we absolutely know aren't available to most mortals, and likely there's some amount of flash in one's profile that has to exist regardless of how much you spend to be invited to apply.  It would not surprise me in the slightest to find something similar even on the lower tier cards.

Edit: my assertion assumes Amex could figure out the infrastructure and development side, which is non-trivial, and I do have second-hand knowledge that they haven't always been good at that, but that they have enough resources and knowledge to eventually get to the right solutions... or at least have in the past.

        
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.