Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Issues

tag
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Issues

I hate that we have so many threads about AMEX devolve into this discussion, but it's been pointed out before... It's not the actual usage of the card at a place like WM, it's a change in overall financial patterns. If you went from shopping at Whole Foods and eating out regularly along with PIF and having overall UTIL low across all cards, to shopping primarily at Walmart, carrying a balance, rising UTiL on other cards, and maybe even other installment loan issues, then sure, AMEX might be likely to do a FR which subsequently might lead to getting a card closed.

Here's my point against it: some of the most successful individuals or families I've known are smart with money. This means saving money on things that might be able to be purchased as Walmart. One family in particular shopped primarily at Walmart, and on the weekends went down to their sailboat. 

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 11 of 23
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

Well I just got off the phone with them and the CSR said that they do this with new cardmembers. We were on a three-way call with my bank and then I had to verify my address along with a few other things and that was it. AMEX lifted the fraud alert on my card and I am now able to use it again. I made sure it was a one-time only deal, and they confirmed that it was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 12 of 23
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Luckly they didn't fr you Smiley Happy
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 13 of 23
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@getmycreditright wrote:

Well I just got off the phone with them and the CSR said that they do this with new cardmembers. We were on a three-way call with my bank and then I had to verify my address along with a few other things and that was it. AMEX lifted the fraud alert on my card and I am now able to use it again. I made sure it was a one-time only deal, and they confirmed that it was.

Good to hear. I love my Amex Green, I am hoping to get BCE soon.

How do you like the SPG?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 14 of 23
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

That's interesting

The same night I got my Delta Skymiles I ran through 500 on there so I could get my miles....nobody ever called me or locked my account.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 15 of 23
shakalaka
Established Contributor

It is not always with the first charge. I ran short of 1K trough my Zync and after an online purchase at Office Depot it happened. And they will not do this with every memebr I guess.

Since then (2 months) ago no more questions. Just fun with my Zync.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 16 of 23
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@getmycreditright wrote:

Good to hear. I love my Amex Green, I am hoping to get BCE soon.

How do you like the SPG?

I like it so far. My first statement just closed, so I should be receiving my 15,000 starpoints (which equates to 3 free nights). I also like the 1:1 conversion for american airline miles as well. Other than this issue (which turned out, wasn't really an issue), AMEX has been great. Their customer service was a lot better than I expected. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 17 of 23
Simplyjays
New Contributor

ahh freaky i hope they dont do that to me! how many times has this happened to you?

Inquires= 0 as of 3/20/2013 till 4/1/2014
-Amex green NPSL -Discover it 1k -Capital One 1.25k -Walmart 700.00
-JDCU 500.00 -Credit one bank 400.00 (credit builder card =) -Babys R-us 200.00? =(
TU=649
EQ=632 as of 3/20/2013
Message 18 of 23
Simplyjays
New Contributor

whats FR? Man Sad

Inquires= 0 as of 3/20/2013 till 4/1/2014
-Amex green NPSL -Discover it 1k -Capital One 1.25k -Walmart 700.00
-JDCU 500.00 -Credit one bank 400.00 (credit builder card =) -Babys R-us 200.00? =(
TU=649
EQ=632 as of 3/20/2013
Message 19 of 23
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'd be careful using Amex at Walmart anyway lol In fact, I do not use Amex at Walmart.

Walmart is about the only place I use my AMEX  lol

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.