Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Member Date

tag
Sorainzo
Valued Member

American Express Member Date

Hello, so I was just recently approved for an American Express Green Charge Card, and I was approved on the 2nd half of December. They sent me an online account activation # that I used to make the online account before receiving the card. When I made the online account, in December, it said "Member Since 2014." Now I applied and was approved in 2013, however, one of the reps said that since they card was just shipped out (on the later aprt of the month), it wasn't going to reach me to activate it before 2014. When I received the card, even the card said 2014, but luckily, I was able to call the E.O. and have them change the date on my account (and both the website and card) to 2013 after I activate this card and they will send me a replacement card with 2013 on it. Gotta give it to American Express!

Now, my question is, if I apply for another American Express CREDIT card in February, would that backdate to last year, so that it'll be February 2013 for that card?

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: 694
Goal Score: 710

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
My Current Cards: Capital One Cash Rewards - $5000, Chase Amazon Rewards - $1400, Citi Secured - $300, U.S. Bank Secured - $300, Firestone CFNA Card - $1200
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Member Date

If you got your original card in 2013, yes the new card and the card you previously had will now report as february 2013 on your report. For max backdating you should apply in january
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 8
Sorainzo
Valued Member

Yeah I actually just applied a few days back, but they gave me the "We'll contact you," so if I am denied it'll be a softpull due to me being a member now, then I'll try again next month. My scores are pretty good with no negative markings recently, so I'm going to try to use that try to get one of their credit cards.

My Current Cards: Capital One Cash Rewards - $5000, Chase Amazon Rewards - $1400, Citi Secured - $300, U.S. Bank Secured - $300, Firestone CFNA Card - $1200
Message 3 of 8
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@Sorainzo wrote:

Yeah I actually just applied a few days back, but they gave me the "We'll contact you," so if I am denied it'll be a softpull due to me being a member now, then I'll try again next month. My scores are pretty good with no negative markings recently, so I'm going to try to use that try to get one of their credit cards.

Every AMEX card I have ever applied for has been a hard pull.

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:

@Sorainzo wrote:

Every AMEX card I have ever applied for has been a hard pull.

If you do not have an Amex card, then each app is a hard pull, whether you get it or get denied.  Once you have one Amex card, subsequent attempts are soft if denied, hard if approved.  Did you experience something different?

Message 5 of 8
Sorainzo
Valued Member

Yeah, but is the backdate thing only for January, or any month?

Message 6 of 8
Luscher
Valued Contributor

any month. say you got your first card august 2001. This year you get a card june 2014, all you amex cards will now have an account open date of june 2001
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 7 of 8
Sorainzo
Valued Member

Oh, wow, that's pretty good.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.