Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express New Account Question

tag
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

American Express New Account Question

I have been with AMEX for 30 years and want to apply for the Delta or BCE card. Since it would end up being backdated to my original year of membership, will other creditors consider it a new account when it begins to report to the CRA's? I realize the date opened that will be reported to the CRA's would be a 30 year old date, but the account itself would just start reporting and would the see that as a "new" account?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express New Account Question

On manual review they will see that the card has no history. Having no history can be for various reasons, e.g., such as Amex backdating, lost or stolen card reissue, etc.

I believe that after two years the card will look the same as your 30 year old card, even on manual review.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 3
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: American Express New Account Question

What OhioCPA said is correct, but it will typically only be apparent to a human analyst on recon or review.

Neither your FICO score nor the computer algorithms that make most credit decisions are going to care whether it's a "real" 30-year-old account or a backdated one.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.