Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express New Cardholder Information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express New Cardholder Information

I've heard that American Express can often take 2-3 months to report a new account to the credit bureaus. Since I'm expecting my new card soon, would love to hear others' experiences re/ how long it took to receive your card, and also how long your Amex account took to report to the credit bureaus. Thank you!

Also, are there additional tips and information for new Amex cardholders that would be helpful for us to know? Please share Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Reporting and Receiving Card

Took about a week to get my ED, and I got my PRG in 2 days.

Both cards took two billing cycles, I believe, to report.

Message 2 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you request to have the PRG early? If not, it's odd that that one came faster than your other card. Maybe once you're in the club they send you additional cards faster?
Message 3 of 61
ddemari
Super Contributor

when i got an amex last year the card came super fast, like 3-4 days but it didnt report to CRA's for at least 60 days. 

Message 4 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I didn't request it. It's my understanding the charge cards get overnighted to you.
Message 5 of 61
scmami
Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting this! I am waiting for 2 new Amex cards myself. 

Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 6 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, everyone!

Another quick Amex question also -how long does Amex normally take for charges to post, and payments to post on the card?

I always prefer quick posting for both charges and payments, and I have some cards that post both charges and payments very quickly, and others that take forever (Synchrony, I love you, but you are in the latter group in terms of charges posting and payment posting speed!)Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charges take a couple business days to post. Payments tend to post next day, if made early in the day, but your available credit reflects the payment immediately.
Message 8 of 61
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard that American Express can often take 2-3 months to report a new account to the credit bureaus. Since I'm expecting my new card soon, would love to hear others' experiences re/ how long it took to receive your card, and also how long your Amex account took to report to the credit bureaus. 

To accomplish, what?  You're going to find the same thing.  It varies.

@Anonymous wrote:

Another quick Amex question also -how long does Amex normally take for charges to post, and payments to post on the card? 

As stated above typically a business day or two but it it's not just a matter of AmEx but the retailer as well.  Next day for payments.

Message 9 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Charges take a couple business days to post. Payments tend to post next day, if made early in the day, but your available credit reflects the payment immediately.

Thanks, jdt, this is helpful to know. Citi also reflects the payment immediately in the available credit on my Double Cash. I love how they do that immediately after I make a payment. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.