Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Newbie Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Newbie Question

Good morning all,

So I got an AMEX Blue Sky card this past month.  I got paid today and went online to pay it in full, however, it won't let me make a payment at all.  Can I not make a payment on it until I get the statement?  Will it then always report a balance id I use it during the month?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express Newbie Question

You can't make a payment on the American Express site until the first statement generates.

However, if your banking account has an online bill-pay feature, you can "push" a payment into AmEx from there.

If you know (or think you know) when your first statement is due, stop using the card 7 or 8 days beforehand, wait to make sure that everything has posted, and then use your online billpay to pay the balance 3 or 4 days before you think the statement will drop.

This is only if you don't want a balance to post the first month.

Once you have your first statement, you'll be able to pay on the AmEx site without a problem.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

You can't make a payment on the American Express site until the first statement generates.

However, if your banking account has an online bill-pay feature, you can "push" a payment into AmEx from there.

If you know (or think you know) when your first statement is due, stop using the card 7 or 8 days beforehand, wait to make sure that everything has posted, and then use your online billpay to pay the balance 3 or 4 days before you think the statement will drop.

Once you have your first statement, you'll be able to pay on the AmEx site without a problem.

+1

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I appreciate the information.

Message 4 of 8
eparker
Frequent Contributor

Hi SaraLucy....had a question.  When you were approved for your Amex with your scores, did you any baddies on you CR.  If so, how many. 

Thnx....

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Yes, 3 medical collections.

Message 6 of 8
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Hi SarahLucy,

Just to add to what haulingthescoreup said... Yes, generally, you will need to wait until your statement cycles before making that first payment, however I was able to make a few payments before my first statement cycled with a supervisor's approval. I have a screenshot of the Payment History screen, but I am trying to figure out how to attach it... Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 8
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

Here it is... Smiley Very Happy

Payment History

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.