cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express PRG Utilization question??

tag
re383209
Established Member

American Express PRG Utilization question??

I had a question since this is just a charge card and just reports a balance does this count towards my utilization?? Or does it just count as a balance and 0 limit??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: American Express PRG Utilization question??

I believe it reports your latest balance as its limit, but it's utilization handled differently from CCs.

Edit: Give this article a read.

Since it has no credit limit, for example, your charge card won't figure into your credit utilization rate. That's the portion of credit you have available from revolving accounts, and it's a key ingredient to your credit score. So, even if you rack up a huge amount of debt on your charge card, it won't impact your utilization rate.

Those debts will, however, affect your credit score in other ways. Anthony Sprauve, myFICO.com spokesman, says the balances on charge cards are used in adding up the total debt you owe across all of your accounts, just like the balances on credit cards.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 9
bmwman3241
Established Member

I have a similar question so thought I would ask in here.

Should I pay my charge card balance before or after my statement posts? Does it make a difference reporting a 0 balance on a charge card when it posts, or letting it post then PIF?

Message 3 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@bmwman3241 wrote:

Should I pay my charge card balance before or after my statement posts? Does it make a difference reporting a 0 balance on a charge card when it posts, or letting it post then PIF?

Interesting question -- since I'm new to a charge card.. I also would love to know the answer to this. Thanks everyone!

Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bmwman3241 wrote:

Interesting question -- since I'm new to a charge card.. I also would love to know the answer to this. Thanks everyone!

It does not make a difference as charge cards are not factored into your util. Some like to let the high bal report -to show they are capable of paying large balances.  

I rather keep my money in the bank as long as possible and pay when the bill is due. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bmwman3241 wrote:

It does not make a difference as charge cards are not factored into your util. Some like to let the high bal report -to show they are capable of paying large balances.  

I rather keep my money in the bank as long as possible and pay when the bill is due. Smiley Wink

Cool.. thank you Lexie for that response! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

For me, it does not affect my utilization so I never worry about if it reports a balance or not

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 9
re383209
Established Member

Yeah my bill cycle rolls over tomorrow Ill let it report and pay it off and see if theres any difference current balance is $3700

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

For me, it does not affect my utilization so I never worry about if it reports a balance or not

+1

Same for me.  There's no right or wrong method OP, just a matter of preference.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.