American Express Payment Date "Please Pay By"

I have a  American Express ZYNC card.

To date, I have always paid the balance due in full
on (or before) the date on the payment stub
labeled "PLEASE PAY BY:"

I spoke with a CSR today at AMEX who informed me that
the "Please pay by" date is not the real "due date"
..that I really had until the day before my next billing
cycle ended to pay in full and avoid any charges.

In my case the dates are something like this:

The "please pay by" date is 05/26/11

The day before my next billing cycle ends is 06/26/11.

Is this correct?

Can someone tell me the real scoop on AMEX payment dates?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Payment Date "Please Pay By"

@KayMD wrote:

I have a  American Express ZYNC card.

To date, I have always paid the balance due in full
on (or before) the date on the payment stub
labeled "PLEASE PAY BY:"

I spoke with a CSR today at AMEX who informed me that
the "Please pay by" date is not the real "due date"
..that I really had until the day before my next billing
cycle ended to pay in full and avoid any charges.

In my case the dates are something like this:

The "please pay by" date is 05/26/11

The day before my next billing cycle ends is 06/26/11.

Is this correct?

Can someone tell me the real scoop on AMEX payment dates?

I never heard that before. I always paid before or no later than the "Pay by Date" -  I would be careful if I were you - the csr may be wrong. Usually the date on the statement is the due date. My amex is a charge card so I'm not sure if the same goes for the Zync card. You may want to ask to speak to account manager.

Message 2 of 21
spankyspanky
Established Member

Sounds scary to me.  I personally treat AMEX like they're the top priority of all my bills, and they accordingly treat me with respect. 

Message 3 of 21
daytrade5
Contributor

That doesn't sound right to me... The due date is just that, the last day you have to pay any amount owed. With my Amex, they give me about 15 days after my statement cuts to pay them in full (charge card). I would continue on the payment path that you are on right now to avoid any issues in the long run. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

@daytrade5 wrote:

That doesn't sound right to me... The due date is just that, the last day you have to pay any amount owed. With my Amex, they give me about 15 days after my statement cuts to pay them in full (charge card). I would continue on the payment path that you are on right now to avoid any issues in the long run. Smiley Happy

+1   I go by whatever due date appearing on my statement .  The rare occasions when I let an AMEX  balance report, I always pay the minimum amount due immediately after the new statement generates.  Then later that month, I pay the full balance along with any other new charges. 

Message 5 of 21
GQ-007
Valued Member

The CSR is correct. The pay by due date is a bit misleading. According to the CSR who I spoke with, this date is normally 2 weeks before the statement cuts and is provided as guide if you mail your payment. By adhering to that due date, payments mailed will normally reach American Express in timely manner.

To validate this information is correct, I established the date my statements cut on the 26th of each month. Yet my due dates are always approximately two weeks before my statement cuts. I don't follow the due date. I coordinate my payments before the 26th. 

Message 6 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

It amazes me the amount of people who still mail in their payments.  I see why I'm always seeing job listings for people to process AMEX mail at the Ft. Lauderdale, FL location. 

Message 7 of 21
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

I pay my statement balance for my Blue and Gold cards the day the statement generates.  Don't want to ruffle any feathers.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 8 of 21
daytrade5
Contributor

@jthedges wrote:

I pay my statement balance for my Blue and Gold cards the day the statement generates.  Don't want to ruffle any feathers.

I hear ya! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to work for Amex in the Sm. Business cards customer service.  It's true.  The "please pay by" date is a guideline for which to send in your payment.  As long as it posts before the next statement cuts, you are good.

That being said, I always send in my payment by the "please pay by" date.  I don't really feel like risking AA from the beast...

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.