Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Platinum (US) 100k Sign Up Offer

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Platinum (US) 100k Sign Up Offer

If anybody is trying to find this offer since the OP violated the terms of the forum. Just do an online search for the cardmatch feature at creditcards.com

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 31 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@genmic wrote:

I'd be careful as it doesn't look like this offer has the annual fee wavied for the first year, which negates some of the benefit of the extra points. Just wanted to point that out, but I could be wrong as I just looked glanced cursorily at it.

Amex has never waived the 1st year fee on the Platinum.  At least, not that I'm aware of.

+1

Would be nice though...$450 is pretty high

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 32 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

My offers are all Crap One... Venture, VentureOne and Cash Rewards and Plat Prestige...not an Amex to be found! Smiley Mad

Message 33 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

My offers are all Crap One... Venture, VentureOne and Cash Rewards and Plat Prestige...not an Amex to be found! Smiley Mad

Did you use the original link provided by the OP? Maybe that is the only way to get the AMEX offer.

Message 34 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Dustink wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Did you use the original link provided by the OP? Maybe that is the only way to get the AMEX offer.

Yeah...I saw it Smiley Sad

Message 35 of 63
Fenerbahce
Valued Member

Simple logic tells you this offer is not worth it. Pay an annual fee of $450 per year to get $1000 in airline credits. You would have already paid back that amount to Amex after 2 years of card membership. Then every year after that you are paying them $450 per year to carry this card. Unless you upgrade, get the points and use them...then close the account before second year renewal...it's pointless. I'd rather keep my normal spending, have the ability to carry a balance if I want...then rack up rewards without having to pay a ridiculous annual fee. My 2 cents!

Photobucket
Message 36 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Fenerbahce wrote:

Simple logic tells you this offer is not worth it. Pay an annual fee of $450 per year to get $1000 in airline credits. You would have already paid back that amount to Amex after 2 years of card membership. Then every year after that you are paying them $450 per year to carry this card. Unless you upgrade, get the points and use them...then close the account before second year renewal...it's pointless. I'd rather keep my normal spending, have the ability to carry a balance if I want...then rack up rewards without having to pay a ridiculous annual fee. My 2 cents!

Or make use of the $200 airline credit. Have an effective $250 AF.

Then use the 100k points for a business class ticket to europe that is worth over $2500.

No FTF's while there.

Use the free global entry membership to get back in.

Use the $200 airline credit again right at the start of 2014 to buy airline gift cards making the AF effectively $50.

Spend the year enjoying airport lounges.

Cancel the account.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

I never carry a balance, so that aspect doesn't bother me. Although AMEX charge cards usually have an option to carry a balance, not that I would.

Message 37 of 63
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Or make use of the $200 airline credit. Have an effective $250 AF.(...)

Use the free global entry membership to get back in.(....)

Use the $200 airline credit again right at the start of 2014 to buy airline gift cards making the AF effectively $50.

If you count in global entry fee of $100 that will make AF effectively "minus $50" as for your 450 spent you'll get at least $500 reimbursed :-) And this is not counting in all other perks.

Da*n, I should be patient. $450 AF is a huge money, but just discussed this with my DW - I fly ~20-30 flights on average per year lately, so $200 in airline incidental fees will be a very easy task for me even without buying airline giftcards. Getting to lounges for free is also a very nice perk. Add 100k MR above it and those $450 immediately become the best spending you can do condition you close this card before your next AF hits... If I can use my card to pay for my wife's Global Entry fee, that will just make it even more attractive. 

But the main outcome of this offer is that I should probably wait with applying for CSP for some time - Chase HAS to counter-offer with something ;-)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 38 of 63
Fenerbahce
Valued Member

@Dustink wrote:

@Fenerbahce wrote:

Or make use of the $200 airline credit. Have an effective $250 AF.

Then use the 100k points for a business class ticket to europe that is worth over $2500.

No FTF's while there.

Use the free global entry membership to get back in.

Spend the year enjoying airport lounges.

Cancel the account.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

I never carry a balance, so that aspect doesn't bother me. Although AMEX charge cards usually have an option to carry a balance, not that I would.

Wait a minute, 100K points is worth how much exactly? I have an overseas travel plan for this summer and I thought 100K was worth about $1000...kind of like the sky miles program. Am I wrong here? If that's the case, I might open this puppy and do exactly whats on this list. I need to have another gander at what all I'm really getting here.

Photobucket
Message 39 of 63
nickn86
Contributor

I think the Plat is worth it, but I went with the Gold because of the first year fee waiver.  50k points for $1000 spend in three months, then cancel = completely free money. 

Looking back on it, I'm thinking maybe I should have gone for Platinum, but how much travel I will be doing this year is up in the air.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 40 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.