Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Platinum Upgrade?

tag
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

American Express Platinum Upgrade?

Both my ZYNC and Gold have an upgrade available per the CSR and the website. I am tossing the idea around of upgrading my ZYNC to the plat.  Im not the most frequent traveler, but this card has been my goal card for awhile. I know this card is ideal for travelers and IM not generally the person to just get something just because. But how many people have this card just to have it?  And do you you regret getting it after paying the $450 fee?? Also anyone able to get AMEX to waive the first years annual fee with an upgrade. I was thinking about trying to negotiate that with the CSR if I were to upgrade. Anyone have some experiences with this!?

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express Platinum Upgrade?

Didn't think you could upgrade Zync to Plat. Learn something new everyday. Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

There are a lot of recent threads on the subject of AMEX Platinum ~ most of its benefits are targeted towards frequent travelers.

I haven't heard of anyone getting the Plat fee waived though.   Recently there was a 100K MR points offer for Plantinum, also 50K MR points offers as well.   Not sure if / when they'll be back again.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@09Lexie wrote:
Didn't think you could upgrade Zync to Plat. Learn something new everyday. Smiley Tongue

Yeah I think AMEX decided to allow this since the ZYNC card has been phased out. 

Message 4 of 24
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

I didn't think so either but I asked the rep actually two separate reps and they both told me I am able too. Has anyone done this before?

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 5 of 24
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Forget the idea of talking to them to waive the annual fee. It's charged in the very first month of your statement.

Message 6 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

You won't get the fee waived, best bet is to try to get them to throw some MR points your way.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@drinkthekoolaid wrote:

I didn't think so either but I asked the rep actually two separate reps and they both told me I am able too. Has anyone done this before?

Yep, several people have reported success in PC'ing their Zync to other charge cards.

Message 8 of 24
adavis425
Established Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Forget the idea of talking to them to waive the annual fee. It's charged in the very first month of your statement.

+1. I upgraded back in May and inquired about having the fee waived (because I think you always have to ask) with no luck. I did receive bonus MR points though. I have not however been charged the AF yet. It's quite a hefty AF if you don't travel given the one point per dollar spent MR. I think the benefits of this card are in the travel related perks-Global Entry, lounge access, concierge services, etc. Just my 2 cents.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 24
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They must be trying to get as many people on the upgrade - just-in-time to drop the next 100k MR point offer.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.