cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Platinum - Wishing for Metal vs Plastic Composition

tag
hogwild

American Express Platinum - Wishing for Metal vs Plastic Composition

For many out there, I think it would be great if Amex would manufacture the Amex Platinum from a sheet of stainless steel wrapped in plastic like some of the Chase cards!  I have the Marriott Rewards card from Chase and I have yet to bend it or replace it.  It's nearly indestructible plus the lettering does not wear off nor does the card crack at the magnetic strip like my Amex.  I have replaced it several times and apparently Amex has no problem resending it each time since all of us pay the hefty fee each year.

If that is the case then why not just make the card out of metal and make it easy for all of us.  They did this for the Centurion. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kchengg1
Contributor

Re: American Express Platinum - Wishing for Metal vs Plastic Composition

In my opinion, Centurion is metal because it's the ultimate prestige and is invite only. If they gave that away to people who could apply for the platinum, it would take away from the Centurion's prestige.

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 2 of 6
eagle2013
Established Contributor

They have such a premium product and brand name why would they spend the extra dough for a metal card? CSP doesn't have that allure. Hell, we get at least 2 threads a week with folks not even knowing the benefit of the CSP (UR 1:1 transfers), so I doubt if it was just a regular plastic card it wouldn't garner as much attention.
Message 3 of 6
hogwild

Simply comes down to making the product more durable.  That ulitimately becomes a marketing department decision and yes, they don't have to do that since they have the market when it comes to their product.  However, it would be nice!

Message 4 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Metal cards are nice for maybe the first couple hours / days after you get the card. After that, the thickness and weight starts to get irritating. If I wanted a thick and heavy wallet, I would be carrying cash and coins around instead.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 6
dilettante
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Metal cards are nice for maybe the first couple hours / days after you get the card. After that, the thickness and weight starts to get irritating. If I wanted a thick and heavy wallet, I would be carrying cash and coins around instead.

+1 The novelty of your first metal card wears off very quickly.

Especially, if you have the 2 heaviest cards (Palladium and Ritz),CSP as well as various airline cards in your wallet and need to take them on trips. I've stopped using the metal Palladium and use the plastic version only. Still need to call and see if Ritz is available in plastic.

My hope is that the CCC's stop wasting money on card materials and use that money for better benefits.  Whether it's metal or not will not be a part of my decision later to either keep or close my Amex Plat.

it really irritates me that JPM will send replacement cards, including plastic in those big welcome box packaging instead of just a plain envelope. I thought it was great that Cit sent their AA Exec WEMC in a plain envelope ..until 3 weeks later, they sent the welcome box with the booklet that's basically useless.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.