cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Platinum charge card cancelled...?

tag
Hakaslak

American Express Platinum charge card cancelled...?

My billing cycle ends on the 14th, today is the 22nd, and due date is the 29th.

I logged in today to pay my bill after the charge card was declined at enterprise car rental for a security deposit. When I logged in, I noticed that the account was listed as cancelled."This account is cancelled and has an outstanding balance."

Did I do something wrong? I was never contacted by AMEX before. This is my first bill with AMEX - I opened the account after a pre approval in the mail.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Platinum charge card cancelled...?

Who knows……Amex has ALWAYS been a pain in my rear end. It could just be their usual incompetence or it could be Amex going bipolar again. I'd say give them a call to see which one it is today. 
Message 2 of 39
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Hakaslak wrote:

My billing cycle ends on the 14th, today is the 22nd, and due date is the 29th.

I logged in today to pay my bill after the charge card was declined at enterprise car rental for a security deposit. When I logged in, I noticed that the account was listed as cancelled."This account is cancelled and has an outstanding balance."

Did I do something wrong? I was never contacted by AMEX before. This is my first bill with AMEX - I opened the account after a pre approval in the mail.

Hi...just to clarify...you have been using this card already, right? If so, are you close to the limit on it?

It is customary that credit card companies don't contact you if they are going to either close or cut the credit limit on your card. Many people find out at the register or at the gas pump that there is a problem.

As the above poster said, you'll have to call customer service to find out what's happening. Let us know what they say, and the folks here can give you some advice.

Message 3 of 39
Hakaslak

Yes, I have about $800 balance on it that is due on the 29th of December.

This is a AMEX Platinum Card, so there is no limit. It is a charge card, not a credit card. That is why I am confused why they cancelled my account. I am not late, as the payment is not due yet, but they closed my account. 

Message 4 of 39
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

You'll have to call them. That's not a very big balance.

Has something changed on your credit reports? Have you piled up a lot of debt lately on your other credit cards? That can make credit card companies nervous.

And, even though this card is advertised as not having a limit, there indeed is an internal limit. The sky is NOT the limit. A balance of $800 certainly shouldn't cause problems in and of itself, however.

Message 5 of 39
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

No one here can answer why the card was cancelled.  You have to call AMEX and get the skinny directly from them.  They have to tell you why they are cancelling your account.
Message 6 of 39
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

same thing happened to me years ago..consider it a gift. pay amex and get them out of your life. you dont want a credit card company that is not reliable.
Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hakaslak wrote:

Yes, I have about $800 balance on it that is due on the 29th of December.

This is a AMEX Platinum Card, so there is no limit. It is a charge card, not a credit card. That is why I am confused why they cancelled my account. I am not late, as the payment is not due yet, but they closed my account. 

Not to say I think this is ok, but did you by chance shop at some of the AmEx "no-no" places like Walmart?  If you happen to remember or can check online, where was your very first purchase made? 

Message 8 of 39
Hakaslak

12/21/2009   Mon CR ADJ MEMBERSHIP FEE -450.00
12/20/2009   Sun PANDA EXPRESS 9.07
12/19/2009   Sat SHELL OIL 5.43
12/17/2009   Thu MERITLINE.COM 3.26
12/15/2009   Tue BUILDABEAR WRKSHP 27.09
12/14/2009   Mon PAYPAL *BLUELINKER 5.00
12/13/2009   Sun BEST BUY CO 180.62
12/13/2009   Sun JACK IN THE BOX 14.89
12/14/2009   Mon Membership Fee 450.00
12/12/2009   Sat TOYO SUSHI JAPANESE 44.85
12/09/2009   Wed BEST BUY CO 1.13
12/08/2009   Tue BIG SKINNY CORP 19.95
12/08/2009   Tue SPRINT WIRELESS 123.49
12/03/2009   Thu GATEWAY INN 61.60
11/30/2009   Mon AMAZON MKTPLACE L 30.95
11/28/2009   Sat AMAZON MKTPLACE 278.39
11/28/2009   Sat BEST BUY CO 11.23
11/28/2009   Sat WWW.NEWEGG.COM 477.38
Message Edited by Hakaslak on 12-22-2009 03:10 PM
Message Edited by Hakaslak on 12-22-2009 03:10 PM
Message Edited by Hakaslak on 12-22-2009 03:11 PM
Message 9 of 39
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry about closing the account.  American Express doesn't want you to charge a lot on the first month. I don't know if $800 is a lot for them. I also don't know the exposure limit of your card. Even though The Platinum Card doesn't have a fixed limit,  it doesn't mean you have unlimited spending. (They mentioned this on their website). The exposure limit can go up and down depends on your income, payment history and credit history. (They credit review you by soft pull from EXP).  You have several rather large (over 200.00) purchases.  Hmm... it seems that they didn't like the amount of large purchases.  But, American Express is strange, you'd never know.

Ron. 

Message Edited by Ron1 on 12-22-2009 04:50 PM
Message Edited by Ron1 on 12-22-2009 04:51 PM
Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.