Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Product Change?

tag
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Product Change?

When you PC with Amex, your card number stays the same.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's why I was asking, b/c if it changed, it wasn't really a product change but a new app

Message 12 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I PC from Green to Zync, I don't know why I wouldn't be able to go back the other direction.

Charge for Charge

Credit for Credit with the exception of Costco and Lowes, you have to apply for them.

Message 13 of 35
breakthecycle
Regular Contributor

I didn't realize there was a difference between Zync and green. I was pre-approved for both but chose Zync instead of green. I hope to get another Amex card in the next year or so. 

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CARD act states you can't product change to an account with a higher annual fee within the first 13 months of an account being opened, all other charge products of course have higher fees so thats where these time frames are coming from. But AMEX has ZYNC locked so no one can do a true product change out of the product and keep the same number.

Message 15 of 35
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The CARD act states you can't product change to an account with a higher annual fee within the first 13 months of an account being opened, all other charge products of course have higher fees so thats where these time frames are coming from. But AMEX has ZYNC locked so no one can do a true product change out of the product and keep the same number.

Are you talking about the Credit Card Act of 2009? I can't seem to find that provision anywhere. Of course it would be easy to miss amongst all that CongressSpeak.  Smiley Happy

Could you be more specific in what section this provision is located? 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 16 of 35
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Insyder. What state do you live in?

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in NC

Here is the verbage

a) Limitation on Increases Within First Year- Except in the case of an increase described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of section 171(b), no increase in any annual percentage rate, fee, or finance charge on any credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be effective before the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date on which the account is opened.

ETA

Technically changes can't be made for 12 months, IE the change would be in the 13 month

Message 18 of 35
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in NC

Here is the verbage

a) Limitation on Increases Within First Year- Except in the case of an increase described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of section 171(b), no increase in any annual percentage rate, fee, or finance charge on any credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be effective before the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date on which the account is opened.

Yes I am familiar with this but what confused me I guess is when you wrote: The CARD act states you can't product change. 

No where does the CARD act specifically talk about product changes and that's what led to my confusion and my question.

Thanks for the clarification.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the confusion you are correct that the CARD act doesn't address product changes, the stipulations of the law limits product changes.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.