cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express: Ratio of credit limit to income?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

American Express: Ratio of credit limit to income?

So I'm curious as to how high of a ratio American Express is comfortable with, in regards to your credit limit (or total credit limits across all cards) compared to your annual income.

My current credit limit is $6,000 (Originally 2k). In 6 months, I was thinking about requesting a CLI to $15,000. However, the only issue is that my annual income is around $29,000. 

Would it be an issue to request a credit limit that's half of my annual income? My report is perfect, no baddies, extremely low utilization, multiple cards with limits over 5k, and a total of 40k available credit (plus a 10K car loan that's almost paid off). I know American Express is generous with CLIs lately, but HOW generous are they?

Maybe some of you with high CL:income ratios can post your situation, to give me a better idea of what to expect?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: American Express: Ratio of credit limit to income?

Your income plays a big part, but so does your credit history as well. If you have a long credit history with no derogs, they will be willing to extend you a lot more credit as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
NewSurrender
Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Your income plays a big part, but so does your credit history as well. If you have a long credit history with no derogs, they will be willing to extend you a lot more credit as well.

That's probably not going to work in my favor. I'm only 23, so I don't have a very long credit history. My first card was opened 2.5 years ago. 

I've been an Amex cardholder since May 2012, so it'll be about a year and a half of history with Amex when I apply for a CLI. 

I think I spend enough on the card to warrant a higher limit though. I spend around $1,000-$1,500 a month on my card. Decent amount to keep Amex happy, but not enough to where I'm at a significant risk for FR.

Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Don't worry too much and request the full 3X. Worst case scenario they will counter-offer whatever they seem is appropriate for you at this point in time.

Your credit history and income will go up over time Smiley Happy
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
dalleanne
New Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

Maybe some of you with high CL:income ratios can post your situation, to give me a better idea of what to expect?

My annual income is $35k and I have a total credit limit of ~$12k. We'll see if they give me a bigger increase but not sure yet.

Message 5 of 7
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I would be cautious and ask for 10000. Some card issuers get nervous when overall credit card limits are above your income. You might then miss out on better card offers. High limit is for people who use card heavily and do not want high util to be reported. In your case util is 25% based on your current limit which is below the 30% generally advised by most people.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Don't worry too much and request the full 3X. Worst case scenario they will counter-offer whatever they seem is appropriate for you at this point in time.

Your credit history and income will go up over time Smiley Happy

Quoted for as close to truth as we can know anecdotally.  

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.