cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).

Moderator

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).


Repo-ed wrote:

Just a heads up, though this is an old thread, I did find that USAA does offer a secured Amex card that doesn't require you to put up a 10k CD.  You do have to put up the secured amount that you want the limit to be, and it will go into a 2 yr CD.

 

It's an option and I don't think USAA has membership contraints like NFCU does, at least not anymore.


Secured USAA Amex != Secured Amex.

 

This card simply uses the Amex transaction network, it is not an actual Amex account.  To pretty much everyone's knowledge, Amex isn't currently doing secured cards; instead, they're trying the pre-paid debit route.  If this doesn't pan out, maybe they'll try again going the secured card route as they have in the past.  

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 44
Mega Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).


Revelate wrote:

Repo-ed wrote:

Just a heads up, though this is an old thread, I did find that USAA does offer a secured Amex card that doesn't require you to put up a 10k CD.  You do have to put up the secured amount that you want the limit to be, and it will go into a 2 yr CD.

 

It's an option and I don't think USAA has membership contraints like NFCU does, at least not anymore.


Secured USAA Amex != Secured Amex.

 

This card simply uses the Amex transaction network, it is not an actual Amex account.  To pretty much everyone's knowledge, Amex isn't currently doing secured cards; instead, they're trying the pre-paid debit route.  If this doesn't pan out, maybe they'll try again going the secured card route as they have in the past.  


I wish they would do an affordable for middle class income secured AMEX!!!




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 32 of 44
Established Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).

Anyone have the link to the site for secured Amex thru usaa..I was there and it said bad link when I tried it

Message 33 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).

Keep in mind that to obtain a credit card from USAA you need to be a full member. You also need to call to get a secured card application.
Message 34 of 44
Mega Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).


sjt wrote:
Keep in mind that to obtain a credit card from USAA you need to be a full member. You also need to call to get a secured card application.

I was told before I closed the account (I was not a full member) that I could apply for a CC.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 35 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).


LS2982 wrote:

sjt wrote:
Keep in mind that to obtain a credit card from USAA you need to be a full member. You also need to call to get a secured card application.

I was told before I closed the account (I was not a full member) that I could apply for a CC.


When I called a few weeks ago they told me that you had to have full member status to be able to apply for their credit products. It could be that anyone could apply for a unsecured product, but you definitly need full member status to be able to apply for the secured card.

Message 36 of 44
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).

I would do it.... I just put 30k in a  1 year CD with Ally bank the rate was 1.02%.

Message 37 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).


Padunkadunk wrote:
If its a secured offer, they need to call it that, otherwise what you were told is shady and illegal. You can't tether products in order to sell more. Making a person open a CD for a year before granting them a credit card is illegitimate.

I not quite sure what point you are trying to make.

 

As I understand it some people either 1) applied for an Amex card and they were counter offered with a secured card product or 2) they were solicited for the secured product.

 

Amex Secured might not be for everyone, but at least its an option that may suit some.

Message 38 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).

Has anyone received an offer lately?

Message 39 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express SECURED card offer ! (Also, Amex now checking Teletrack reports).

Has anyone gotten one of these offers recently?

Message 40 of 44