Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Serve

tag
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

American Express Serve

Good way to get in with American Express or a waste of time? I have other major credit cards but for whatever reason I can not break through and get an American Express card. What are you thoughts on this product? Thanks!

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Serve

@Jbb2788 wrote:

Good way to get in with American Express or a waste of time? I have other major credit cards but for whatever reason I can not break through and get an American Express card. What are you thoughts on this product? Thanks!

No it has no bearing ...sorry 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@Jbb2788 wrote:

No it has no bearing ...sorry 

+1

This is simply a pre-paid product offering.

Message 3 of 21
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

This is what I thought but wasn't completely sure...So how do you do it? How do you get in with American Express? Before my recent app spree I'm sure that I had scores in the 700's, 1 baddie with Chase that is almost 7 years old, aaoa is probably 2.? years, just purchased a house, a car, and recieved credit cards from Chase dispite the baddie with them, discover, and several more. They just don't like me!

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
Message 4 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Just wait till your derogs fall off. Alternatively try applying for a charge card.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Jbb2788 wrote:

This is what I thought but wasn't completely sure...So how do you do it? How do you get in with American Express? Before my recent app spree I'm sure that I had scores in the 700's, 1 baddie with Chase that is almost 7 years old, aaoa is probably 2.? years, just purchased a house, a car, and recieved credit cards from Chase dispite the baddie with them, discover, and several more. They just don't like me!

Just guessing here but house car, and cards may have been a lot of INQ's recently.

How many INQ's have you had in the last 12 months?

How many CC's in the same period?

Did you app Amex at the top of your spree or bottom?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 21
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

@Myjourney I apped AMEX at the top of my spree, I knew they would be difficult to get if I had a lot of INQ's. I was still denied. Before I went on my CC spree I all of my INQ's were from my house mostly, I managed to purchase a new truck with only 2 INQ's. Now I have probably 20 something? No more apps for me for a long time...I will probably go after that AMEX after I'm done gardening just for the self gratification. lol.  

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
Message 7 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Jbb2788 wrote:

@myjourney I apped AMEX at the top of my spree, I knew they would be difficult to get if I had a lot of INQ's. I was still denied. Before I went on my CC spree I all of my INQ's were from my house mostly, I managed to purchase a new truck with only 2 INQ's. Now I have probably 20 something? No more apps for me for a long time...I will probably go after that AMEX after I'm done gardening just for the self gratification. lol.  

Sounds like a good plan 

When you get the letter update this thread let's put all our heads together 

Amex will be yours sometimes it just takes another attempt 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 21
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

Do you know if AMEX does recons? I have received the letter but I really didn't pay much attention to it. I'll let you know the reason they stated for the denial when I get home this evening. 

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
Message 9 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jbb2788 wrote:

Do you know if AMEX does recons? I have received the letter but I really didn't pay much attention to it. I'll let you know the reason they stated for the denial when I get home this evening. 

Recons are not typically successful with AMEX and you will incur another HP if you went that route.  The exception would be if something drastic or significant changed on your overall CR (or other items) from what was used in the review of your initial application.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.