Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express/Should I Apply

tag
Camilion
Regular Contributor

American Express/Should I Apply

I have the american express Gold card and have had it since 2001, I got a preapproval officer for the platnium, But just dont think the paying the yearly fees for that is something i want to do Smiley Happy)....I do not have the revolver cards and was intrested in giving it a try..The Blue Cash sounds like something i would use....But I am gun shy to apply...I dont want another hard Inq on my report....I have several from a new car loan ..I know they are treated as One but they do look bad...and 5 others that will drop later this year....I have around 700 FICO scores from this site and a 700 EXP from the car loan site..All my reports are clean with NO Baddies at all...My UTI is around 20%...and i have several cards...I guess My question is...DO i have a shot ...(A good Shot) at this card..Or would you Shake the crazy Notions from your head and runSmiley Happy)

Ride the wind for it will carry you...
Follow the stars for they will guide you..
Believe in your dreams..
For they are your hearts desires...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express/Should I Apply

Actually since this is Amex, you're in luck.  Since you're already a card member, if you apply and are denied, it's just a soft pull inquiry anyway (no impact to your FICO score).

So if you want one of the Blue Cash revolvers, and they are sweet cards, and you're willing to take the hit if you get approved, then just pull the trigger because there's no hit if you get denied.  Amex is awfully nice about that one compared to everyone else, and it sounds like you're in pretty good shape either outright or on recon (explaining the auto inquiries) anyway.  I'd absolutely apply if I were you, or had your credit profile Smiley Wink.

        
Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

You may want to get that utilization down below 10%, it should also gain some fico points and could be the difference between a high APR / low CL card and something with better terms.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with LS2982 about bringing your utilization below 10%. Also, it was my experience that they doncare about your inquiries, they care more about your current relationship with them
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 10
Camilion
Regular Contributor

Thank You Guys!! Im off to pay down balances! sounds like my plan is to just garden and pay...with the bounties...Smiley Happy) then in bout a year ill hit them with my best shot!

Ride the wind for it will carry you...
Follow the stars for they will guide you..
Believe in your dreams..
For they are your hearts desires...
Message 5 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Lower utilization never hurts but don't forget that Amex uses an internal scoring model. You already have a great history with them so it may not have the same impact compared to someone applying cold.

I'd probably let the inquiries age until Jan. That way your new card will be dated Jan 2001.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

If you have great paymeny history with AmEx since 2001 there's really no need to wait. I couldn't see you being denied.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just apply..  I applied on the 29th for the zync and goit it with npsl.  This was my first amex ever.  So then I read I could apply without taking another HP, so I apped for the BCE and got that with a 2k limit.  So finally in.  My scores is PSECU EX 685, my uti is 35%, and had 5 hp the last 6 months 1 of which was amex 2 months ago, no collections, 1 baddie HSBC account from 2005 due to fall off in 5 months.  I also am carrying a 10k balance on my 14k nfcu since it has 0% til 2013.  If you have been a member since 2001 I would say apply!

Message 8 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just apply..  I applied on the 29th for the zync and goit it with npsl.  This was my first amex ever.  So then I read I could apply without taking another HP, so I apped for the BCE and got that with a 2k limit.  So finally in.  My scores is PSECU EX 685, my uti is 35%, and had 5 hp the last 6 months 1 of which was amex 2 months ago, no collections, 1 baddie HSBC account from 2005 due to fall off in 5 months.  I also am carrying a 10k balance on my 14k nfcu since it has 0% til 2013.  If you have been a member since 2001 I would say apply!

That's great it worked for you, but just as a note for others reading this ~ You may or may not incur more than one inquiry when you app and are approved for multiple AMEX cards on the same day......YMMV.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct I should have said YMMV, I only got the 1 hard pull for the ZYNC

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.