Contributor
teddybearkelli1

American Express and Military

My DH has had his amex for years and we just realized he is eligible to have annual fee waived since he is active military. We called last week to get the status, since we were just billed. In the meantime today, we received an email saying his APR was dropped to 0% retroactively. Odd thing is, they sent me an email on my account that I just opened in March, stating they were doing the same for me. Is this correct, to do this for spouses too - even though we are not on eachothers accounts. I sure don't want to call them and have them rescind a 0 APR - even though I don't carry a balance, the waiver of annual fees will be nice.

FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 20k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 10k, NFCU NR MC 5k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 10k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 10k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 6k, JCPenneys 5k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS Card 3.5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 4.5k, Amazon Store 2.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 2k, Macys 2k, Barclays Visa 1.7k, Vystar CU Visa 1.5k
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: American Express and Military

Bump for help 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13

Frequent Contributor
birjest

I will gladly answer this question. I am a naval officer, active duty for 22 years. There was a conversation about active duty military being able to get the AMEX Plat card with the af waived. Since I have the PRG, I was on the fence line about giving up my PRG due to the 2x for gas and groceries. So, I called to waived my PRG and 2 days later, I received an email stating that they will waived, reimburse, and drop my Costco card interest rate to 0%. Welllll, I was still tempting to get that Platinum card, so I called to informed them that I was eligible for an upgrade to Plat and will the fees be waived for the primary users and the AU. The rep confirmed my active duty status, informed me that the cards has been upgraded to Plat and that the AF of $625 will be waived. I logged on then Wednesday, and it had the Platinum cards displayed.
Sure, I could have app for the 25,000 points sign up, but in my eyes, it cost me no HP or AF for the card. Now beat that with a stick!!
11/15/13 EX 685(MY FICO) EQ 657(MY FICO) TU 659 (MY FICO).
09Lexie

@birjest

Thank you for your reply and for your service!
Contributor
teddybearkelli1

But they do this for spousal accounts too, even though my active duty spouse isn't on my account?
FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 20k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 10k, NFCU NR MC 5k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 10k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 10k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 6k, JCPenneys 5k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS Card 3.5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 4.5k, Amazon Store 2.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 2k, Macys 2k, Barclays Visa 1.7k, Vystar CU Visa 1.5k
Frequent Contributor
resilient

I'm AD military too, and I had HSBC do this back in 2005.....I checked my credit report, and they attached the following to comments "Recalled to active duty military". They did not remove it when I called. Not s ure of the affect it had on my credit, if any.

Belk ($2.5k) CSP VS ($5k) Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage WEMC ($13k) Citi HHonors VS ($11k) HHonors AmEx ($2k) Dillard's AmEx ($7.5k) Discover it ($3.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($20k) Gold Delta SkyMiles AmEx ($9.5k) Macy's AmEx ($5k) Macy's ($1k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Military Star MC ($15k) Nordstrom VS ($10k) PenFed Cash Rewards Visa ($15k) Ritz Carlton VS ($35k) Starwood Preferred Guest AmEx ($2k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($14k) Walmart Discover ($7.5) Arrival + WMC ($12.5k) Wells Fargo Visa ($3k)
Frequent Contributor
birjest

Well, no one can truly answer for Amex. I can only say that having your husband military status, link you as a military spouse(obviously) , thus treating you as such. Call Amex for more details!!!
11/15/13 EX 685(MY FICO) EQ 657(MY FICO) TU 659 (MY FICO).
Valued Contributor
kevinjjc

[ Edited ]

I soooo wish that I knew about this perk when I was active duty! If I had known, I would have been an AmEx cardmember back then. Spread the word!!! :smileyhappy:

Valued Member
devastatah

I plan to do this as well as I am an active duty Army Officer. I thought they only adjusted rates and waived fees if you were deploying thru SCRA. If they adjust simply because of your service then that will definitely bump them up in my eyes. Not Navy Federal Status of course but puts them in a different category with me. 

AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 3K
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 11.5K, WalMart 12K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Chase Amazon Visa 5k, Mil Star Chase 3.5K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 724 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax 689
Frequent Contributor
resilient

devastatah wrote:

I plan to do this as well as I am an active duty Army Officer. I thought they only adjusted rates and waived fees if you were deploying thru SCRA. If they adjust simply because of your service then that will definitely bump them up in my eyes. Not Navy Federal Status of course but puts them in a different category with me. 

Small world. I'm an AD Army Officer too. And some businesses usually only adjust the rate and waive fees if you've had the account before joining active duty; some will just do it. I had an HSBC card, and they added an extra status on my credit report that I didn't like "Recalled to active military duty". Not sure if it affected my score, but it dropped my rate to 0% and payments were $2 a month. 

Belk ($2.5k) CSP VS ($5k) Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage WEMC ($13k) Citi HHonors VS ($11k) HHonors AmEx ($2k) Dillard's AmEx ($7.5k) Discover it ($3.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($20k) Gold Delta SkyMiles AmEx ($9.5k) Macy's AmEx ($5k) Macy's ($1k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Military Star MC ($15k) Nordstrom VS ($10k) PenFed Cash Rewards Visa ($15k) Ritz Carlton VS ($35k) Starwood Preferred Guest AmEx ($2k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($14k) Walmart Discover ($7.5) Arrival + WMC ($12.5k) Wells Fargo Visa ($3k)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}