Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express and Military

tag
teddybearkelli1
Contributor

American Express and Military

My DH has had his amex for years and we just realized he is eligible to have annual fee waived since he is active military. We called last week to get the status, since we were just billed. In the meantime today, we received an email saying his APR was dropped to 0% retroactively. Odd thing is, they sent me an email on my account that I just opened in March, stating they were doing the same for me. Is this correct, to do this for spouses too - even though we are not on eachothers accounts. I sure don't want to call them and have them rescind a 0 APR - even though I don't carry a balance, the waiver of annual fees will be nice.

FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 18k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 13k, NFCU NR MC 10k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 11.5k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 14k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 16k, JCPenneys MC 7k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS MC 5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 6.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 5k, Macys 2k, Vystar CU Visa 5k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: American Express and Military

Bump for help 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

I will gladly answer this question. I am a naval officer, active duty for 22 years. There was a conversation about active duty military being able to get the AMEX Plat card with the af waived. Since I have the PRG, I was on the fence line about giving up my PRG due to the 2x for gas and groceries. So, I called to waived my PRG and 2 days later, I received an email stating that they will waived, reimburse, and drop my Costco card interest rate to 0%. Welllll, I was still tempting to get that Platinum card, so I called to informed them that I was eligible for an upgrade to Plat and will the fees be waived for the primary users and the AU. The rep confirmed my active duty status, informed me that the cards has been upgraded to Plat and that the AF of $625 will be waived. I logged on then Wednesday, and it had the Platinum cards displayed.
Sure, I could have app for the 25,000 points sign up, but in my eyes, it cost me no HP or AF for the card. Now beat that with a stick!!

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 3 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@birjest

Thank you for your reply and for your service!
Message 4 of 11
teddybearkelli1
Contributor

But they do this for spousal accounts too, even though my active duty spouse isn't on my account?
FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 18k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 13k, NFCU NR MC 10k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 11.5k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 14k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 16k, JCPenneys MC 7k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS MC 5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 6.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 5k, Macys 2k, Vystar CU Visa 5k
Message 5 of 11
resilient
Established Contributor

I'm AD military too, and I had HSBC do this back in 2005.....I checked my credit report, and they attached the following to comments "Recalled to active duty military". They did not remove it when I called. Not s ure of the affect it had on my credit, if any.

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 6 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Well, no one can truly answer for Amex. I can only say that having your husband military status, link you as a military spouse(obviously) , thus treating you as such. Call Amex for more details!!!

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 7 of 11
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I soooo wish that I knew about this perk when I was active duty! If I had known, I would have been an AmEx cardmember back then. Spread the word!!! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
devastatah
New Contributor

I plan to do this as well as I am an active duty Army Officer. I thought they only adjusted rates and waived fees if you were deploying thru SCRA. If they adjust simply because of your service then that will definitely bump them up in my eyes. Not Navy Federal Status of course but puts them in a different category with me. 

AmEx Platinum NPSL, AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 10K, Penfed Defender AmEx 5K, BankAmericard MC 14k, BoA Travel Rewards 18k, Penfed Thrifty Credit Service 500.00 Blispay Visa 7.5k,
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
Penfed Gold Visa 19K, Lowes 35K, NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 19K, WalMart 20K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, Citi Simplicity $8,800, BarclayCard Rewards MC 11K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Citi Dia Pref Visa $9.7K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K, , Chase Freedom 3.5K, Chase Amazon Visa 1.6k

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 735 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax Advantage Pull 740 Sept 2016
Message 9 of 11
resilient
Established Contributor

@devastatah wrote:

I plan to do this as well as I am an active duty Army Officer. I thought they only adjusted rates and waived fees if you were deploying thru SCRA. If they adjust simply because of your service then that will definitely bump them up in my eyes. Not Navy Federal Status of course but puts them in a different category with me. 

Small world. I'm an AD Army Officer too. And some businesses usually only adjust the rate and waive fees if you've had the account before joining active duty; some will just do it. I had an HSBC card, and they added an extra status on my credit report that I didn't like "Recalled to active military duty". Not sure if it affected my score, but it dropped my rate to 0% and payments were $2 a month. 

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.