Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express application

tag
danisgods
Regular Contributor

American Express application

Alright, we all heard many many times in here that AMEX has it's own way to check out for credit, that they only pull EX and blablabla....

But in reality, does anyone know what is the AMEX criteria for selection/approval???Smiley Indifferent

no expeculations guys, if you knoe something for a fact please post it, otherwise just leave it as is...

Thanks a lot.Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express application

Lately scores ranging around the 650 and up have been getting approved for charge card products.  The credit card products seem to require above 680ish at min.

Now since they use there own designed EX score there is no definate way of knowing exactly, and lately they have also been known to pull EQ on top of the EX.

Message 2 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Every time I have apped with Amex, they pulled EQ and EX. 

Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They've only pulled EX for me, both for a charge and a revolving product, but they pull EQ in addition for many people.

@danisgods wrote:

... no expeculations guys, if you knoe something for a fact please post it, otherwise just leave it as is...

I understand what you're saying here, but unless American Express one day posts to the forums and lists in detail exactly what they require and what will kill an app, we pretty much have to speculate, based on our own experiences. Smiley Happy

My belief, backed by what I've read here for three years, is that the charge cards (Zync, Green, Gold, Platinum) are easier to get than the revolvers, probably because they can control their liability better. And an awful lot of people are pre-approved for Platinum, which is flattering, but I think mainly results from AmEx's love of getting $450 a pop from those who want a Plat.

They approved me for a Gold 13 months after I had a 30 day late, plus numerous other older lates, but no collections, CO's, judgments, etc., but this was before the big meltdown.

Once I'd had the Gold for 10 months, they approved me for a Blue without blinking. My EX and TU FICO's were in the 720 range, and I got a whopping $2500. About a year later, I did an online CLI request and got $5K.

I use my card, but not bunches. I used to have my cell phone bill on there, but I switched it to PenFed for the phone insurance deal. I don't do lots of traveling, so unless I get the Costco card, their rewards aren't all that spectacular for my needs.

As mentioned above, they pulled EX for me both times. They soft me on EX monthly. AFAIK, they've never softed me on the other two.

I have never had anything but excellent customer service with them, including when my Gold card was compromised.

That's about all the facts I have. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

I agree with Hauling. We'll never know the true formula they use so we need to base this answer on experience.

I can tell you for a fact that Amex is sensitive to inquiries. Too many inquiries within the last 12 months will get you denied by Amex and that's a fact.

They don't seem to care much about inquiries that are older than 1 year.

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 5 of 7
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

@danisgods wrote:

Alright, we all heard many many times in here that AMEX has it's own way to check out for credit, that they only pull EX and blablabla....

But in reality, does anyone know what is the AMEX criteria for selection/approval???Smiley Indifferent

no expeculations guys, if you knoe something for a fact please post it, otherwise just leave it as is...

The stars must be aligned just right. And thats a fact.

You always take the risk of being rejected anytime you apply for credit with with anyone. Shoot, I remember even my dad saying no to me a few times when I asked him for a few bucks. LOL. There are no guarantees. You just never  know until you hit the APPLY button. 

Message 6 of 7
danisgods
Regular Contributor

@Uncle_Money wrote:

I agree with Hauling. We'll never know the true formula they use so we need to base this answer on experience.

I can tell you for a fact that Amex is sensitive to inquiries. Too many inquiries within the last 12 months will get you denied by Amex and that's a fact.

They don't seem to care much about inquiries that are older than 1 year.

UM

what is considered too many inquiries for you?

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.