Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express approval process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express approval process

I recently applied on line for the American Express Platinum. I got a message about 48 hours later requesting me to contact them for address verification. I contacted them and they wanted a conference call with my bank to verify my address to complete the process. Unfortunately, my bank was closed and I will have to wait until it opens. The AMEX rep would not say if I was approved or not. My question is, does this mean I am being seriously considered since I wasn't shot down immediately? My EQ is 747.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express approval process

I would think your good if they are going through trouble
Message 2 of 21
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Be prepared to show some bonafides when you have the conference call.  If you have hardly anything in your bank account that would not support the CL that is being considered you will be denied.  They (AMEX) want to be comfortable that you can pay for what you may be charging.
Message 3 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
I would think your good if they are going through trouble

+1.  More than likely you're approved since they're taking those extra steps.  

Message 4 of 21
cd73
Established Member

I was recently approved with a 685, so you should have no troubles....
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I had the conference call between AMEX and my bank. All they did was verify my address like the message said. The rep then told me I am approved for the Platinum. Very friendly and professional. I should receive it in a week. I am kind of surprised as I expected to be denied. This is my first AMEX. Maybe I've read too many threads about people with good CS' being rejected. I have an avarage CS (747) and even some late payments 2 years ago that still show up on the CR's. What may have helped is that I have not had a credit inquiry for over 1.5 years and I have a 19k VISA with  zero balance. I have a current car loan and 1 installment loan, both without a late. I am surprised and pleased to be approved. I think I will more than make up for the 450 fee by using the perks...especially for the traveling.

I hope this provides some insight for those considering applying.  

Message 6 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update: I had the conference call between AMEX and my bank. All they did was verify my address like the message said. The rep then told me I am approved for the Platinum. Very friendly and professional. I should receive it in a week. I am kind of surprised as I expected to be denied. This is my first AMEX. Maybe I've read too many threads about people with good CS' being rejected. I have an avarage CS (747) and even some late payments 2 years ago that still show up on the CR's. What may have helped is that I have not had a credit inquiry for over 1.5 years and I have a 19k VISA with  zero balance. I have a current car loan and 1 installment loan, both without a late. I am surprised and pleased to be approved. I think I will more than make up for the 450 fee by using the perks...especially for the traveling.

Congrats!  

Message 7 of 21
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on being approved.  Do you travel a lot?  I've had AMEX Gold for decades, and they keep trying to persuade me to get Platinum but I don't travel enough for the extra perks beyond what I get with Gold to justify the higher annual fee.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MattH,

I do travel a lot both for work and pleasure. Below is a link with a great video review of the Plat card. It goes into good detail of all the perks. If you watch it, tell me what you think.

[Edited to remove link]

I'm sorry Lucybird, but your link was a violation of the FICO FORUMS CREDIT REPAIR DISCUSSION GUIDELINES. Thanks for your understanding! ~LilMirth

Message Edited by LilMirth on 12-05-2009 06:32 PM
Message 9 of 21
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MattH,

I do travel a lot both for work and pleasure. Below is a link with a great video review of the Plat card. It goes into good detail of all the perks. If you watch it, tell me what you think.

[Edited to remove link]

Good review; I knew most but not all of what it said.  Some of the services I get with my AMEX Gold Card have been valuable to me in the past, and the difference between Green and Gold is worth the annual fee difference to me which is why I have Gold.  No question if travelled more then I would get AMEX Platinum, my choice not to get AMEX Platinum right now is not a permanent one.  If in the future I found myself spending more time in airports then I would reconsider.

Message Edited by LilMirth on 12-05-2009 06:34 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.