Did you mean: 

American Express approval process

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express approval process

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MattH,

I do travel a lot both for work and pleasure. 

Many companies REQUIRE their employees to use a company provided card which usually kills many of the perks of a card like the Platinum.  I've been offered the Platinum card for years, but just don't travel enough on personal time to make it worthwhile.  And when on business travel I am required to use the Corporate Amex card.  It never made any sense for me and I don't think that will change going forward.  My Gold Rewards, Optima Platinum and Starwood AMEX cover every situation I've ever come up against.  Good luck with the Platinum though. 

Message 11 of 21
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MattH,

I do travel a lot both for work and pleasure. 

Many companies REQUIRE their employees to use a company provided card which usually kills many of the perks of a card like the Platinum.  I've been offered the Platinum card for years, but just don't travel enough on personal time to make it worthwhile.  And when on business travel I am required to use the Corporate Amex card.  It never made any sense for me and I don't think that will change going forward.  My Gold Rewards, Optima Platinum and Starwood AMEX cover every situation I've ever come up against.  Good luck with the Platinum though. 

Exactly so, for business travel I must use my AMEX Corporate Green Card, not my personal AMEX Gold Card, because our Expense Reporting system is directly linked to my Corporate Card account.  And most of my personal travel these days is visiting relatives or in-laws.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 12 of 21
cd73
Established Member

my employer requires me to use my Corporate AMEX although, if I was to pay a hotel with my personal AMEX they wouldnt deny me.....airfare gets ZERO'ED out on my CORP AMEX so thats a must, but other than that I put meals and hotel on my personal to get the points since we dont get the points on our corp card....they took that feature away from us...
Message 13 of 21
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@cd73 wrote:
we dont get the points on our corp card....they took that feature away from us...

Even if you pay the $75 fee yourself to link the corporate account to your personal Membership Rewards account?  That is a very stingy company you are working for.  I work for a very, very conservative company and they have no problem with us getting the points from the Corp card if we want to pay the connection fee.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvalSmiley Wink you gotta love all the those perks.
Message 15 of 21
morganirish
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on the card,  But Is that 450. an Annual fee???!! 
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MattH,

I do travel a lot both for work and pleasure. Below is a link with a great video review of the Plat card. It goes into good detail of all the perks. If you watch it, tell me what you think.

[Edited to remove link]

I'm sorry Lucybird, but your link was a violation of the FICO FORUMS CREDIT REPAIR DISCUSSION GUIDELINES. Thanks for your understanding! ~LilMirth

Message Edited by LilMirth on 12-05-2009 06:32 PM

I guess I missed the link amd didn't see it before removed.  But just so I am clear, how does a review or information on a credit card product (AMEX Plat) violate the Credit Repair guidelines?

I thought the Credit Card threads were exactly for discussing the ins and outs, benefits, features, costs and perks of any particular credit offering.  I'm confused how it relates to "repair" guidelines.

Message 17 of 21
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

@cd73 wrote:
we dont get the points on our corp card....they took that feature away from us...

Even if you pay the $75 fee yourself to link the corporate account to your personal Membership Rewards account?  That is a very stingy company you are working for.  I work for a very, very conservative company and they have no problem with us getting the points from the Corp card if we want to pay the connection fee.

My company used to allow this, but not any more, because part of our negotiated contract with American Express is the company gets a rebate from Amex, and Amex said "we'll increase your rebate if you stop allowing your employees to get rewards."

Which of course is fair, the company is paying for my business travel so they have a right to specify how their money is used, just as I am free to use the card of my choice when I am paying for things.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 18 of 21
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@MattH wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

@cd73 wrote:

My company used to allow this, but not any more, because part of our negotiated contract with American Express is the company gets a rebate from Amex, and Amex said "we'll increase your rebate if you stop allowing your employees to get rewards."

Which of course is fair, the company is paying for my business travel so they have a right to specify how their money is used, just as I am free to use the card of my choice when I am paying for things.

Sure, it's easy to see why a company would want to squeeze every last dollar out of their Travel expenses, but many companies see the points as a bit of a perk to the employee who travels (often on his/her personal time), and is away from their families for a good portion of their lives.  Allowing the employee to accrue points to their personal account is small beer, and doesn't have any tax consequences for either party.  I work for a company who will sue a company if they believe they are in the right, regardless of the cost, because they don't want to set a precedence.  And they are brutal to an employee who misuses the Corporate Card for personal use, usually resulting in termination.  But regarding points they recognize the time an employee spends on the road for the company and they have decided to let them keep them.  All companies are different in how they view their business expenses.

Message 19 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

txjohn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MattH,

I do travel a lot both for work and pleasure. Below is a link with a great video review of the Plat card. It goes into good detail of all the perks. If you watch it, tell me what you think.

[Edited to remove link]

I'm sorry Lucybird, but your link was a violation of the FICO FORUMS CREDIT REPAIR DISCUSSION GUIDELINES. Thanks for your understanding! ~LilMirth

Message Edited by LilMirth on 12-05-2009 06:32 PM

I guess I missed the link amd didn't see it before removed.  But just so I am clear, how does a review or information on a credit card product (AMEX Plat) violate the Credit Repair guidelines?

I thought the Credit Card threads were exactly for discussing the ins and outs, benefits, features, costs and perks of any particular credit offering.  I'm confused how it relates to "repair" guidelines.

I'm not sure if LilMirth has seen this, so I'll jump in.

It wasn't the article; it was the site on which it was posted. While we try to allow links to other sites, if the sites feature credit repair advice that isn't allowed here, especially if it's on their home page, we generally have to edit out the link.

It gets frustrating for us, too, because there are some good references lost this way, but that's what happens when a forum is sponsored by a corporate entity, as opposed to those run from basements and whatnot. They're the ones who pay to keep the forums going, so we try to not freak them out any more than we already do.

When this sort of thing happens, you can always try pm'ing the member, asking for the link.

Again, one of the more dreary traffic-cop functions of moderators. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.