Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express baby!!!

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: American Express baby!!!

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would apply for the Blue that you want right now if you did green today.  No additional pull if declined and then you would know you need to wait about 6 months before applying again.

Congrats on the green and don't sweat when you should call or not call unless we are talking VERY large... I would not call everytime you want to charge $500.  Simply have another card if you happen to get declined... I wouldn't worry about it unless on a date or doing something business related where it might not be so great looking but you are hardly the first card they have swiped and seen decline rather it's green or platinum... if it's sales, or tipping related stuff, that person probably could care VERY LITTLE as long as in the end the sale is done and they get comission!

Flash back 2009-2010, people got declined left and right because of account closures and CLD that hadnt been mailed yet.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on calling if i bought something for like $900 or more but point taken i don't want to call them everytime about wanting to purchase something. I will leave my Amazon open and just not use it and let GE close it, and by then i should have higher limits on my other cards so it will equal out any everything will be fine. I'm still a little scared though. I just need to drop my utilization on my other cards quickly and use my Amex slowly more any more for a few months to build history. I am thinking about moving one of my automatic charges to Amex once i get it so i can keep it Active if i don't use it alot at first, that may be the smartest thing to do i guess.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 11 of 17
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Congrats.

1) Just build a spending pattern with Amex. That way, Amex will quickly learn your spending. Start gradually. Don't start charging in 10+ places and in huge amounts the first day you get the card. Amex still doesn't know you. Amex will increase your spending ability as they see you spending more and having a solid payment history.

2) Your card may be flagged by the fraud department early (happened to me twice when I got my Zync). Just call and verified that you was one making the charges, and they will quickly lift the hold on your card.

3). I would use the "check your spending ability" if you are planning on making a huge charge (outside your normal day to day spending). After two months, your interior limit will increase as you spend more. Eventually, you won't need to check because Amex will set a nice interior limit to support your monthly expenses, and then some.

Treat Amex right, and they treat you right.....or FR your ass....whichever comes first.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 12 of 17
tray
Valued Contributor

Congrats, reading your post brought me back in time with memories of my rebuilding credit phase and getting my first american express which was a green card too I was in total shock at that time so happy in which I could not believe I was approved for an american express.  Build a relationship and you will be able to get many more american express cards,  I say wow look at me now from 3 years ago just had a green card, but upgraded now have a premier gold card, as well as amex blue preferred $22,000 and amex costco $12,000, this can happen for you too, congrats once again and enjoy!!!

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 17
linux007969
Established Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

Congrats.

1) Just build a spending pattern with Amex. That way, Amex will quickly learn your spending. Start gradually. Don't start charging in 10+ places and in huge amounts the first day you get the card. Amex still doesn't know you. Amex will increase your spending ability as they see you spending more and having a solid payment history.

2) Your card may be flagged by the fraud department early (happened to me twice when I got my Zync). Just call and verified that you was one making the charges, and they will quickly lift the hold on your card.

3). I would use the "check your spending ability" if you are planning on making a huge charge (outside your normal day to day spending). After two months, your interior limit will increase as you spend more. Eventually, you won't need to check because Amex will set a nice interior limit to support your monthly expenses, and then some.

Treat Amex right, and they treat you right.....or FR your ass....whichever comes first.

I'm gonna try my best to treat Amex right, and i'm surprized credit card companies don't call me now cuz of some of my spending, like Discover and BofA. I went on a spending spree Black Friday and no declined cards or phone calls and it was certinally out of ordinary spending for me, i was christmas shopping alot on myself and others this year with Discover and BofA. Thats why my utilization went up cuz "last cycle" my utilization was 7% and now its 24%. Being my own credit analyst for my finances can be a little bit of challenge sometime as i sometimes over think things cuz i try so hard to predict if everything is gonna work out.  

Message 14 of 17
iloverewards
Valued Member

Yay! Congratulations! That's a solid card! I liked it when I had it.

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 15 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Congratulations!

I have 4 AMEX cards and my advice is use the card, pay it in full and don't sweat the FR as it may never happen. As far as BCE I have no idea. I applied for my cards with varying intervals but after they saw heavy usage. Again, use it and see if you get some offers from them. Don't rush it. 

Oh yeah, don't play with the "check spending ability" on the site. If you are actually going to make a purchase and you question if you will be approved use it to make sure then leave it alone. Eventually you will forget about it...Smiley Wink

I've read other posts which say the same thing, but I have played with that feature just for kicks MANY times over the years and have never had any consequence from doing so. In fact, only once have I used it pre-purchase. Are folks afraid AMEX will think you're actually headed out to spend the limit, or what? I don't quite understand the fear of that feature. Are there stories of negative consequences out there??

Notice the winking smiley? Just a poor attempt at a joke. I used to play with it almost daily but I was making purchases close to the amounts entered (OK once I put in a crazy number...). All kidding aside I don't even bother now. I keep trying to get a decline just so I can say I have one.

Message 16 of 17
linux007969
Established Contributor

*** Update *** My card came in the mail today and I activated it. I called in to activate it and the person who activated it for me was nicer than the rep i had last night (if you saw my post last night when i freaked out and throught someone stole my card) She didn't welcome me to the American Express Family but she did say "Have a good one"  That was nice instead of the standard of Have a nice day or Thank you for calling, have a great day. LOL

I actually just called customer service a few minutes ago and they answered the phone real quick. The rep Thanked me for Activating my card and welcomed me the American Express Family. I asked them if I carry a balance for an extended period of time with someone else if thats going to make them close my account. The lady i talked to actually got confused and i had to ask it in a different way.... I asked for example, if  use another card with someone else and carry a balance for about 4 months if thats going to be ok with them and that they won't close my account. Once she understood she said that there are many factors but she said that basically as long as the accounts are in good standing and there's nothing derogatory then i should be fine. I said great Thanks i was just checking because i want to be a good cardholder.. She then went on about how i should really use my American Express Card to earn my membership rewards so i can redeam them for travel and gift cards. LOL

I think she was in a different country, not india but somewhere else but she was helpful and nice.

I asked about carrying a balance because my Discover card has no interest till Jan 2014 so I was planning on taking advantage of that and buy a new fully loaded desktop computer for close to my credit limit with them and then take about 4 months tops to pay it off completely but i don't want AMEX to shut me down for seeing me carrying a balance for awhile as like i said i want to be a good cardholder.

On a side note my Member Since date Online and on the card are both 2013 (13 on the card) So i missed the cut off for backdate but i don't care cuz i got in now so early in life anyway that when i get a BCE hopefully end of this year or early next year it will say on the BCE, Member Since 13. I would rather not pay the $95 annual fee next year but if i have to i would gladly do so cuz i would rather gladly pay for an annual fee one of the "Elite Cards" than pay for subprime capone... lol 

Does anyone know if AMEX would be willing to cut my fee in half next year if i still need to keep it open a little longer before i get a BCE?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.