cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express back dating for Authorized User opening new account?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express back dating for Authorized User opening new account?

You need to provide the proper information to get a proper answer:

1) Original card holder member date

2) When AU was added to any AMEX or had any AMEX

3) Any information on what current cards are showing on login screen or on credit report

The easiest way to tell what will probably happen is to register any existing AU cards with AMEX so they have their own AMEX login and see what it shows as the member date.  Whatever it is will likely be what new cards show.

AMEX current policy is that member dates (and what is reported to credit bureaus) should be the year that the person first had an AMEX in their name whether it be AU or Primary.  However, old policy was that you could get AUs "backdated" to whatever year the primary card holder first had an AMEX.  This is no longer the case since around 11/2011.  The issue comes in if they were "backdated" before 11/2011 on AU cards, what happens now.  In some cases, AMEX has caught on and will issue new cards along the current policy vs taking the old "backdated" year dervived from primary's member year.  In other cases, AMEX hasn't caught on and new cards get the old backdate dervived from primary's member year.  The danger in asking for the old backdate from primary's member year is that I have heard that they went back to old AMEX cards and corrected the reporting.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 12
ryanganders
New Visitor

Re: American Express back dating for Authorized User opening new account?

All I know is that I just recently opened up my own amex accounts. But I have been an AU on my dad's account for several years. On all my AMEX cards it shows member since 1968. I am 27. So.... Don't know what to think about that. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.