Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express blacklist

I was wondering how long do you wait until you are able to apply again and get approved for an American Express cc. First delinquency with them was in 2008, in 2015 they were not showing on the creditreport anymore. Tried applying this month and their internal verification still has me showing with those delinquent accts from2008
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express blacklist

If you burned them..charge off..bankruptcy they won't consider you at all. Just because something fell off CR dosn't mean the history isn't there. However if your accounts were paid in full you might have a chance in the future, they like to see a good rebuild history on debts 

Message 2 of 20
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

The soonest I've heard from reading on different boards seems to be 15 years. Ymmv of course. I'm in the same boat as you are. Amex cancelled my acct in 2008 then I IIB them in my 2011 BK7. I'm not even hoping to get back in with them until at least 2023 maybe even much later than that.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stuck with it and didn't do the BK, and the accts were removed in 2015. Tried to be added on my wife Amex as an AU. And it came back with the same reason , FML , but I heard a stories that some people get off the list a lot sooner so I'm guessing they must have diff criterias depending on a case by case basis
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call them.

Offer to pay the deliquent account in full and see if they offer you the Optima program for rehabbing with them.

If you can't pay them back, don't expect them to bring you back in.  They have very long memories.

Message 5 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ok, so you did not include in bk , i take it from your post you never filed but you do owe them money? Apart from including in bk, aka burning them, the second biggest black mark with Amex would be perhaps having a charge off , owing them money and not paying it back.

The best course would be to pay back what you owe and as suggested, perhaps call them and see if they offer you the Optima program. Nothing is gaurenteed though. I included Amex in my bk7 back in 2007 probably for about 2k. I was on the blacklist for the last 10 years but thankfully they recently let me back in.

Paying them back can at least pave the road for a future approval, just my thoughts.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I stuck with it and didn't do the BK, and the accts were removed in 2015. Tried to be added on my wife Amex as an AU. And it came back with the same reason , FML , but I heard a stories that some people get off the list a lot sooner so I'm guessing they must have diff criterias depending on a case by case basis

Even being added as a AU is a no-go if you burned them...they run your SSN to add you to account, best advice I can give you is call them and work out a repayment plan for your TOTAL debt (because settlements will still keep you out), make the plan, pay it off and then (3-6 mos after) ask to be added as AU, six months after that (if account stays golden)....then apply for new account

With AMEX actions speak louder then words, remorse, corrective action...and so on... works wonders with them to get back in their good graces..but it will take time

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried calling and reason with them but unless I pay there is no other way. The reason is that I owe them roughly $15k from my previous marriage and I got stuck with the bill. So, I'd rather wait it out than spending $15k

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might be waiting a long time, typically 10-15 years and even then there are a lot of people on various credit boards who still can't get in again because they have a big balance due.

$15k is a lot, but if you want in with them, don't expect them to ignore it.  Probably easier if you had BK'd that balance, but the past is the past.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

In august 2018 will be 10 years from the first delinquency, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not in desperate need to get back with them hence I have all major cards with high limits , but I love the perks that Amex gives you comparing with the other cards 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.